"State of the Wholehog" 2008

In the interest of all our users and as a response to several recent threads, I would like to further explain our current plans regarding Wholehog lighting control systems. We take all suggestions and comments very seriously and always appreciate all our users and their feedback.

Our core controller development is lighting control software that can be used in several different hardware system types. Our goal from a hardware standpoint is to bring our products to more users by creating different controllers for different markets and price ranges. For example, the Hog 3PC software and Road Hog console are perfect for low budget and small production needs. The Hog iPC and Road Hog Full Boar are best placed in medium sized budgets and productions, while the Wholehog 3 console remains the flagship product for large productions of all types. The development of new hardware products doesn’t require much distraction for the core software development team and therefore does not slow down software enhancements.

The software development team is split into two main goals. First is the core development team, which is focused on producing software that all products benefit from. They are currently working on the DP8000, a new processor capable of sixteen universes of DMX and Art-Net. This work also includes important system wide changes that significantly improve all software functionalities on all platforms. Once the DP8000 is released, this team will continue to develop other large features and requests such as keystroke macros, effects engine rework, and other enhancements.

The other portion of the development team continues to support the current releases with bug fixes, new libraries, and smaller feature requests and implementations. Soon you will see a release that contains new features such as Network File Sharing, new quick defaulting commands, and other recently requested items.

The goal of all software development is to continue to provide our users with a powerful, stable, and reliable lighting console. The Wholehog 3 console remains the flagship product of the line and will continue to hold its place as such. We have seen an ever-growing increase in our user base, and this trend looks to continue for quite some time. No matter which console hardware they select, they will be using the same software and thus increasing the value of the entire Wholehog product line.

Again we are very thankful for all users and owners of our consoles and wish to express our thanks for your continued support and use of our products. We are dedicated to ensuring our software and hardware provides each of you with exactly what you desire from a lighting console (and hopefully we can exceed your expectations too).

As always, please feel free to contact me directly with any further questions, comments, or suggestions you might have. I am happy to discuss your needs and concerns on a personal basis. brad_schiller(at)highend.com
Parents
  • Well...my point of view, which is programming theater and musicals

Soft keys around monitors.......Nothing special!

Yes, they are. For me they are one of the most important things when programming. One reason to program a show with H3 and run it for example with Road Hog.
    Adjustable monitors...........Stand alone touch screens are adjustable too so again nothing special!
    I don't want any extra cables and connections. So here H3 is my choice.
    Linux Operating System....... Does this make the console do more than the others?
    Well, here I have to agree, because right now I think it's slowing down the development a bit (waiting for better USB support)
    Rate wheel and buttons........Hog PC's got em
    Really? The physical rate wheel and I-wheel is a must for me. Other Hog range consoles don't have them.
    CD and Audio capabilities with built in speakers........again Hog PC touch screens with built in speakers and PC with CD/DVD drive!
    Again, a complete mess for me...I like things to be one package.
    Virtually silent operation due to no fans (all convection cooled).....HOG PC again!
    Silent PC? Ok...show me...
    Anodized aluminum sleek looks......hmmmm HOG PC/ Road Hog / IPC. Again nothing different.Not in Road Hog, others yes, but not the whole thing.
    Slimmer package in road case.....Does it make the console function better?No, but it fits better...
    Dual color LED desklights......Again Hog PC has em.At this point I would say comparing Hog PC and the H3 console is bit strange...build your own console style is not for me...
    Internal Zip drive......And this makes the console do what differently?I agree, for me Zip drive is quite useless
    Folding wrist rest with storage area.....Now this makes the console run better than any of the others right?
    No, it doesn't, but it's useful...I have lot's of stuff there.
    The original product and flagship of the range.............This makes it better by default right?
    Yes :D
  • Well...my point of view, which is programming theater and musicals

Soft keys around monitors.......Nothing special!

Yes, they are. For me they are one of the most important things when programming. One reason to program a show with H3 and run it for example with Road Hog.
    Adjustable monitors...........Stand alone touch screens are adjustable too so again nothing special!
    I don't want any extra cables and connections. So here H3 is my choice.
    Linux Operating System....... Does this make the console do more than the others?
    Well, here I have to agree, because right now I think it's slowing down the development a bit (waiting for better USB support)
    Rate wheel and buttons........Hog PC's got em
    Really? The physical rate wheel and I-wheel is a must for me. Other Hog range consoles don't have them.
    CD and Audio capabilities with built in speakers........again Hog PC touch screens with built in speakers and PC with CD/DVD drive!
    Again, a complete mess for me...I like things to be one package.
    Virtually silent operation due to no fans (all convection cooled).....HOG PC again!
    Silent PC? Ok...show me...
    Anodized aluminum sleek looks......hmmmm HOG PC/ Road Hog / IPC. Again nothing different.Not in Road Hog, others yes, but not the whole thing.
    Slimmer package in road case.....Does it make the console function better?No, but it fits better...
    Dual color LED desklights......Again Hog PC has em.At this point I would say comparing Hog PC and the H3 console is bit strange...build your own console style is not for me...
    Internal Zip drive......And this makes the console do what differently?I agree, for me Zip drive is quite useless
    Folding wrist rest with storage area.....Now this makes the console run better than any of the others right?
    No, it doesn't, but it's useful...I have lot's of stuff there.
    The original product and flagship of the range.............This makes it better by default right?
    Yes :D
Children
No Data
Related