"State of the Wholehog" 2008

In the interest of all our users and as a response to several recent threads, I would like to further explain our current plans regarding Wholehog lighting control systems. We take all suggestions and comments very seriously and always appreciate all our users and their feedback.

Our core controller development is lighting control software that can be used in several different hardware system types. Our goal from a hardware standpoint is to bring our products to more users by creating different controllers for different markets and price ranges. For example, the Hog 3PC software and Road Hog console are perfect for low budget and small production needs. The Hog iPC and Road Hog Full Boar are best placed in medium sized budgets and productions, while the Wholehog 3 console remains the flagship product for large productions of all types. The development of new hardware products doesn’t require much distraction for the core software development team and therefore does not slow down software enhancements.

The software development team is split into two main goals. First is the core development team, which is focused on producing software that all products benefit from. They are currently working on the DP8000, a new processor capable of sixteen universes of DMX and Art-Net. This work also includes important system wide changes that significantly improve all software functionalities on all platforms. Once the DP8000 is released, this team will continue to develop other large features and requests such as keystroke macros, effects engine rework, and other enhancements.

The other portion of the development team continues to support the current releases with bug fixes, new libraries, and smaller feature requests and implementations. Soon you will see a release that contains new features such as Network File Sharing, new quick defaulting commands, and other recently requested items.

The goal of all software development is to continue to provide our users with a powerful, stable, and reliable lighting console. The Wholehog 3 console remains the flagship product of the line and will continue to hold its place as such. We have seen an ever-growing increase in our user base, and this trend looks to continue for quite some time. No matter which console hardware they select, they will be using the same software and thus increasing the value of the entire Wholehog product line.

Again we are very thankful for all users and owners of our consoles and wish to express our thanks for your continued support and use of our products. We are dedicated to ensuring our software and hardware provides each of you with exactly what you desire from a lighting console (and hopefully we can exceed your expectations too).

As always, please feel free to contact me directly with any further questions, comments, or suggestions you might have. I am happy to discuss your needs and concerns on a personal basis. brad_schiller(at)highend.com
Parents
  • Thanks Brad for the preview of upcoming products and features. It all sounds great.

I will never understand why people keep making complaints about the "life" of the Wholehog 3 console. I was looking through the Hog 3 archive section of the website a few minutes ago and found the oldest software version I could with a date attached. I found v.1.0 build 101 beta and it was dated August 15 2002. So the Wholehog 3 console has been out since at least that date. I know it has been longer. I have been a Hog 3 user since the beginning. The very beginning.
    Here's my point. The console is about 5 and a half years old. Of course hardware additions are going to be released. Some people consider a two year old laptop to be "old". It's not like High End has stopped developing software for any of the Hog 3 line, right?
    Are people wanting some kind of hardware upgrade to their Wholehog 3 consoles? As I understand it, this would be an extremely costly venture. Isn't the Wholehog 3 a completely customized console. Custom motherboard and all that jazz. I remember there being several posts on this forum about this.
    Or maybe it's that people are jealous of the newer consoles. They do run a little faster (keeping in mind the Wholehog 3 console is 5 years old). High End is pushing the newer desks harder then the older one(s), but then again they aren't pushing the Studio Spot CMY real hard either. Should I start a post about how that's not fair? Stupid SHOWGUN taking all the advertising space. Was that too sarcastic.

The Wholehog 3 is not dead. Brad just did a post about how it is their "flagship" console. Who cares what they call the "flagship" anyway. Buy the console that works for you. I work for a band that bought a Road Hog last summer. It fit right into our budget and I really enjoy programing on a hog. Then not a year later the Road Hog Full Boar comes out. Obviously I wish my console had all the features the Full Boar has, but then it wouldn't fit into our budget. Anyway, the Road Hog has everything I need. In a few years maybe we will need to upgrade to a bigger desk. I can respect that some people have commented about not knowing the Full Boar was coming out. That does suck. If you're not a large company who can afford to purchase multiple consoles then that can be tough. Maybe launching both desks together would have been a wiser move. I don't know.

Not trying to be a jerk here. I just keep reading these posts about Wholehog 3 owners who are upset with newer desks being released, but their console is still being fed with software updates. With each software release the Wholehog console has gained some performance boosts. The artnet port on the Full Boar doesn't even function yet so no worries for legacy Wholehog owners. It sounds like the DP 8000 will help performance on the console and add artnet, so that's a good thing.

my humble opinion.
    Chris
  • Thanks Brad for the preview of upcoming products and features. It all sounds great.

I will never understand why people keep making complaints about the "life" of the Wholehog 3 console. I was looking through the Hog 3 archive section of the website a few minutes ago and found the oldest software version I could with a date attached. I found v.1.0 build 101 beta and it was dated August 15 2002. So the Wholehog 3 console has been out since at least that date. I know it has been longer. I have been a Hog 3 user since the beginning. The very beginning.
    Here's my point. The console is about 5 and a half years old. Of course hardware additions are going to be released. Some people consider a two year old laptop to be "old". It's not like High End has stopped developing software for any of the Hog 3 line, right?
    Are people wanting some kind of hardware upgrade to their Wholehog 3 consoles? As I understand it, this would be an extremely costly venture. Isn't the Wholehog 3 a completely customized console. Custom motherboard and all that jazz. I remember there being several posts on this forum about this.
    Or maybe it's that people are jealous of the newer consoles. They do run a little faster (keeping in mind the Wholehog 3 console is 5 years old). High End is pushing the newer desks harder then the older one(s), but then again they aren't pushing the Studio Spot CMY real hard either. Should I start a post about how that's not fair? Stupid SHOWGUN taking all the advertising space. Was that too sarcastic.

The Wholehog 3 is not dead. Brad just did a post about how it is their "flagship" console. Who cares what they call the "flagship" anyway. Buy the console that works for you. I work for a band that bought a Road Hog last summer. It fit right into our budget and I really enjoy programing on a hog. Then not a year later the Road Hog Full Boar comes out. Obviously I wish my console had all the features the Full Boar has, but then it wouldn't fit into our budget. Anyway, the Road Hog has everything I need. In a few years maybe we will need to upgrade to a bigger desk. I can respect that some people have commented about not knowing the Full Boar was coming out. That does suck. If you're not a large company who can afford to purchase multiple consoles then that can be tough. Maybe launching both desks together would have been a wiser move. I don't know.

Not trying to be a jerk here. I just keep reading these posts about Wholehog 3 owners who are upset with newer desks being released, but their console is still being fed with software updates. With each software release the Wholehog console has gained some performance boosts. The artnet port on the Full Boar doesn't even function yet so no worries for legacy Wholehog owners. It sounds like the DP 8000 will help performance on the console and add artnet, so that's a good thing.

my humble opinion.
    Chris
Children
No Data
Related