"State of the Wholehog" 2008

In the interest of all our users and as a response to several recent threads, I would like to further explain our current plans regarding Wholehog lighting control systems. We take all suggestions and comments very seriously and always appreciate all our users and their feedback.

Our core controller development is lighting control software that can be used in several different hardware system types. Our goal from a hardware standpoint is to bring our products to more users by creating different controllers for different markets and price ranges. For example, the Hog 3PC software and Road Hog console are perfect for low budget and small production needs. The Hog iPC and Road Hog Full Boar are best placed in medium sized budgets and productions, while the Wholehog 3 console remains the flagship product for large productions of all types. The development of new hardware products doesn’t require much distraction for the core software development team and therefore does not slow down software enhancements.

The software development team is split into two main goals. First is the core development team, which is focused on producing software that all products benefit from. They are currently working on the DP8000, a new processor capable of sixteen universes of DMX and Art-Net. This work also includes important system wide changes that significantly improve all software functionalities on all platforms. Once the DP8000 is released, this team will continue to develop other large features and requests such as keystroke macros, effects engine rework, and other enhancements.

The other portion of the development team continues to support the current releases with bug fixes, new libraries, and smaller feature requests and implementations. Soon you will see a release that contains new features such as Network File Sharing, new quick defaulting commands, and other recently requested items.

The goal of all software development is to continue to provide our users with a powerful, stable, and reliable lighting console. The Wholehog 3 console remains the flagship product of the line and will continue to hold its place as such. We have seen an ever-growing increase in our user base, and this trend looks to continue for quite some time. No matter which console hardware they select, they will be using the same software and thus increasing the value of the entire Wholehog product line.

Again we are very thankful for all users and owners of our consoles and wish to express our thanks for your continued support and use of our products. We are dedicated to ensuring our software and hardware provides each of you with exactly what you desire from a lighting console (and hopefully we can exceed your expectations too).

As always, please feel free to contact me directly with any further questions, comments, or suggestions you might have. I am happy to discuss your needs and concerns on a personal basis. brad_schiller(at)highend.com
  • And in my mind these forums should get things fired up and I would be very interested to know what consoles the two chaps JM and C,hall own and have put there payment to each year ?
  • I don't think Jeff M is wrong, i own a WholeHog III console for 4 years and if that what make it the flagship then i go for the RoadHog FB in half price and i can save on USB stick.

Amir
  • Hi Chris,
    "Some people consider a two year old laptop to be "old"."
    I very much doubt that anybody pays $25,000 for a laptop every 2 years so i don't think that comment is really valid.
    I think a lot of the original posts were indeed about how long the wholehog III console had been in existence and you are indeed correct maybe 5 years and how still many of the promised features were still promises.I think keystroke Macros,USB saving and improved view performance were the main points being made.
    It must be said the new Hog III os is nowhere in comparison to the older ver you started with but for some many critical functions are still missing.
    I think the reason people care about about "flagship" consoles is because they pay a huge amount of cash for them well above what other consoles cost.
    From your post i see you don't own a Hog III or any DP's so maybe your post might lean a different way if that was the case? Maybe not.just wondering.

Marty-Your a lucky guy where you can jump on a plane and be in HE within a few hours and get information from those in the know,i can't so i read the forums,read available information and get e-mail updates and hope i'm not missing something which i seem to be as i never find out anything until i read it here or any on the lightnetwork.

Interesting post and too much equipment that i want to own.

Best C
  • Hi Marty,

Since two years ago it´s been very painfull to fly with extra baggage. Nowadays max weight for each checked in luggage is 32 kgs, no exceptions. This is due to international manual handling regulations. I actually had a Roadhog as checked in luggage few months ago and I had to dig the original cardboard box and fly with it as the flight case was too heavy.

Sulkkis
  • [quote=cormacjack]Marty-Your a lucky guy where you can jump on a plane and be in HE within a few hours and get information from those in the know,i can't so i read the forums,read available information and get e-mail updates and hope i'm not missing something which i seem to be as i never find out anything until i read it here or any on the lightnetwork.

I do consider myself lucky in that regard, that's why I try and share what knowledge I can with everyone.

[quote=sulkkis]Since two years ago it´s been very painfull to fly with extra baggage. Nowadays max weight for each checked in luggage is 32 kgs, no exceptions. This is due to international manual handling regulations. I actually had a Roadhog as checked in luggage few months ago and I had to dig the original cardboard box and fly with it as the flight case was too heavy.

You will have to pay extra no matter what, I reccomend calling your airline to find out how they handle oversize luggage in advance b/c different airlines have different policies.

I just flew to LA from NYC in Dec for example with my H3, keyboard, (2) DPs, cables and small switch in the reuglar H3 case...about 98# (44.5 kg) and cost me $100 extra on American Airlines.....same for the return trip....no problems just plan ahead and you'll be good.

Also flew to EU last year and back on AA & British Airways....slightly more expensive, but again no problems as long as you call ahead and make arrangements.
  • Littlebit offtopic, but anyway:

I had a flight from MAN to HEL last Dec and I had two luggage to be checked in. One was 29 kg and the other was 34 kg. There was no way to check them in as is but I had to move some stuff from the other bag to get the weight under 32 kg/pcs. If the weight is more than 32 kg/pcs, then it will be handled as cargo and most airlines will not guarantee that the luggage will be on same flight as you.

Also, even if they can get the stuff on the same flight the arrival time should be during the office hours as otherwise you will not get the stuff out from cargo.

This has been the policy so far, normally I fly with SAS or Lufthansa.

Normally I don't have any problems with the overweight but my absolute worst case was when I was on my way to PVG with 89 kg. Finally I had to pay for 44 kgs and the bill was 1752 eur just for overweight and my flight was originally about 1500 eur!
  • I also only check one other bag when flying with my desk, so the console counts as "bag #2"......this will reduce the cost somewhat as opposed to flying with the console as a third "bag".

It is never an ideal situation to be in, but if I have to do it I don't really worry about my H3.....as I said earlier other desks are much more cumbersome.
  • You go Marty, I also fly with the H3 and a rack with Datalyinks 2xDP2k
    Netswitch and realy like the new update had no trobble with a full install update Cue,works so grate now I don't think I will ever be a move in black chap but there you go. out all the consoles out there I still think the H3 is the best,
  • There's only two things which concern in Hog range consoles.
    Hog3 10/100 ethernet and will we able to use solid state drives someday?
  • Brad,

You know I love my Hog3 console, and I love reading all the posts that have been made to help support the Wholehog III as the flagship console, but I gotta say, in the new brochure you released, the chart on page 11 seems to favor the Full Boar as the console with more to give. You have the Wholehog III at the top of the list, but the Full Boar has more options. If someone who knew nothing about the Hog was to look at that chart, what would the convicing factor be for the Wholehog III over the Full Boar? I don't think it would be the fact that the Full Boar doesn't have a Zip drive. Just my 2c.
  • Thanks Scott for your input. I will contact you this week to discuss this further. There are plenty of posts here of why a Wholehog 3 console is often chosen over a Full Boar. The simple point is that we are offering a range of consoles and the Wholehog 3 remains the flagship.
  • This is really an interesting post.

It's a pitty that no more people starts questioning.

EVERYONE understand that an new Intel i686 CPU with an busspeed at 1ghz, does beyond faster caluculations than an Freescale G4 400MHz with an bus speed at 100.

Now what comes in to calulation is the coding, on that point I mean the Linux partition on the Wholehog operation system is quite good, but there it end also.

It's stupid to mention that the console is 5years old, networking several consoles with user levels should have worked, USB memory should have worked, Kernel Upgrade (which is not done beacuse it probobly breaks other stuff in the Code), A faster merge/update function, ARTNET, A focus tablet/hardware device. (not a tablet PC), ETC.

DP8000? What is the story, the hardware was there for at least 1.5 years ago?

PLEASE PLEASE HES: Stick to linux and ownmade hardware (aka motherboards) and give all that with the blue alu console a choice.

I've been a VERY loyal hog user since 98, I just want's things that work.

I'm still using H3's but I sold my console 2 years ago (H3).

I'm not flaming, i'm asking.

my 2c

Jan Opseth
  • I wanna know if the DP8000 will work with Hog 3 PC as well,... adding Ethernet capabilitis to that.

Regards
  • With all the talk of this console versus that console, “what’s the point in that model” etc etc, I just want to say a big thank you to High End for developing the HogPC software and hardware line and giving the PC software the same functionality as that of the consoles. I mostly do amateur shows where there is never a budget to hire anything much and certainly nothing in the Hog league. Thanks to HogPC, I can now own my very own Hog setup at a price I can afford and tailor it to my individual requirements. Programming is so much more fun and I get all the benefits of using a highly capable operating system like Wholehog

One day I’d like to be able to afford (and justify owning) my own Hog III or whatever its future incarnation. But until the Pigs do indeed start flying, I’ll have great fun with my PC setup. I love it!

Thanks High End for giving us choice!

Rob
Related