Wireless Technology and the Pig

So I am not sure how many of you are using the networking abilities of the HOG system. Lately I have been using quite extensively for feature films. The rigs are large and cover a large area most of the time. Many times the console is in a central location and I have been using my tablet as a client to network and give me mobility on the set. I have been doing this wirelessly with off of the shelf wireless routers. It has been working with great success.

In these installations we frequently use WDMX devices. Well the two are on the 2.4 GHz bandwidth and the WDMX being so bullet proof tends to cancel out he wireless router for long enough to tick the Pig off and log off the show. After a while it was getting annoying an I had a delima. So out of this I did some research and realized that devices that are on the 5GHz bandwidth starting to be available.

Today was my first test using an extensive WDMX install on 2.4GHz and the tablet running on the 5GHz router. It was flawless all day. Actually moved up to 300ft away frfom the access point still had 70% signal strength. This is a huge advantage. The other is that the router that I went with is a Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless-N router with a storage link built into it. So I think that this might also be a good option the future of networking drives between consoles. And being a gigabit also makes it a good option maybe for uploading content to DL2 or Axons. And with two seperate bandwidths you definately have options to choose from.

Just some info to share with the group.
Related