Whole Hog v Avolites

Hi All i'm new to the forum.

I first was going to buy myself a Whole Hog until i heard it was quite difficult to use but that was 8 years ago, so i bought myself an Avolites Pearl 2000. I am about ready to update/upgrade and was wondering if anyone can tell me more about using the Whole Hog to the Avolites?
Parents
  • There are a lot of differences between the Pearl 2000 and the Hog3. I am mostly working on a Hog3-platform desk (Roadhog, iPC, III), but still frequently work on a Pearl (2004, 2008, Expert). I like them both, but I would choose a Hog3 for any type of show anyday above the Pearl. The Hog just has so much more options and possabilities then a Pearl.

* Hardware
    -Pearl -> Hog
    5 different pre-assigned Master Faders -> 1 GrandMaster (assigned to a playbackfader)
    15 Playback Faders (Not expandable) on 30 Pages -> 10 Playback Faders (Expandable with Playback/Expansion wings) on 32768 pages
    60 Preset Faders on 4 pages -> No Preset Faders
    1 small screen -> 2 large colour touch-screens
    1 external screen -> 0, 1 or 2 external screens
    System, Run & Programm Mode -> All in one mode
    Buttons for all parameters -> Only Intensity, Position, Colour & Beam Buttons
    4 DMX Lines -> RoadHog: 4 DMX-lines, others unlimited with DP's and Widgets
    Flash & Swop on Playback & BottomRow faders -> Choose, Play, Pause & Flash on all Playback faders
    No Mouse/Trackball -> Mouse/Trackball

* Software
    Both are very different, but I'll try to highlight some major differences and things I always miss on a Pearl
    -Pearl -> Hog
    Limited to 199 Palettes -> Almost Unlimited Palettes
    No fader/flash/swop options -> Different options for faders/flash/pause/play
    Limited timing options -> Much enhached timing options
    No inhibitive masters -> Personally assigned inhibitive masters
    Limited possibilities to Edit Fixtures -> Lot's of options to Edit Fixtures
    No Networking -> Networking
    Limited cuelist building with limited timing options-> Cuelist building with enhanced options and enhached timing options
    Write everything on the roll/pearl -> Type names

Don't get me wrong, the Pearl is a great desk, but it is limited to its possabilities, especially when working with a lot of intelligent fixtures. It is great for fast and easy acces to single dimmerchannels and fixtures because of the extra faders and the swop-buttons on the preset faders. Also it's a fast desk to setup, you can have light on stage within seconds of turning on the desk.
    It has been my favourite console for a long time, but at some point I wanted to be able to do more.

Gr.
    Pim
  • There are a lot of differences between the Pearl 2000 and the Hog3. I am mostly working on a Hog3-platform desk (Roadhog, iPC, III), but still frequently work on a Pearl (2004, 2008, Expert). I like them both, but I would choose a Hog3 for any type of show anyday above the Pearl. The Hog just has so much more options and possabilities then a Pearl.

* Hardware
    -Pearl -> Hog
    5 different pre-assigned Master Faders -> 1 GrandMaster (assigned to a playbackfader)
    15 Playback Faders (Not expandable) on 30 Pages -> 10 Playback Faders (Expandable with Playback/Expansion wings) on 32768 pages
    60 Preset Faders on 4 pages -> No Preset Faders
    1 small screen -> 2 large colour touch-screens
    1 external screen -> 0, 1 or 2 external screens
    System, Run & Programm Mode -> All in one mode
    Buttons for all parameters -> Only Intensity, Position, Colour & Beam Buttons
    4 DMX Lines -> RoadHog: 4 DMX-lines, others unlimited with DP's and Widgets
    Flash & Swop on Playback & BottomRow faders -> Choose, Play, Pause & Flash on all Playback faders
    No Mouse/Trackball -> Mouse/Trackball

* Software
    Both are very different, but I'll try to highlight some major differences and things I always miss on a Pearl
    -Pearl -> Hog
    Limited to 199 Palettes -> Almost Unlimited Palettes
    No fader/flash/swop options -> Different options for faders/flash/pause/play
    Limited timing options -> Much enhached timing options
    No inhibitive masters -> Personally assigned inhibitive masters
    Limited possibilities to Edit Fixtures -> Lot's of options to Edit Fixtures
    No Networking -> Networking
    Limited cuelist building with limited timing options-> Cuelist building with enhanced options and enhached timing options
    Write everything on the roll/pearl -> Type names

Don't get me wrong, the Pearl is a great desk, but it is limited to its possabilities, especially when working with a lot of intelligent fixtures. It is great for fast and easy acces to single dimmerchannels and fixtures because of the extra faders and the swop-buttons on the preset faders. Also it's a fast desk to setup, you can have light on stage within seconds of turning on the desk.
    It has been my favourite console for a long time, but at some point I wanted to be able to do more.

Gr.
    Pim
Children
No Data
Related