Change Type accuracy

Hi Maybe can someone can tell me why some fixtures seem to work better when using this feature.
Recently changed fixture types a few times and am getting very mixed results changing from mac profiles to varilites?

I understand fixed colour wheels versus CMY fixtures won't work but even simple position pallettes were so far out as to be almost not worth having.
I didn't have tilt inverted or anything and all the studio colours i had changed type perfectly......

Any tips to make this happen in a more a graceful way would be good.

Cj
Parents
  • Cormac,

This should usually be ok.

I would normally set up a show using pan/tilt inverts in the patch to have all the fixture types move the same way should you grab them all.

eg turning tilt encoder clockwise to moves fixtures out to audience and then pan encoder clockwise to move fixtures toward house right makes most sense to me.

So, when changing fixture types the first thing to do is use pan and tilt inverts so the new fixtures move in the same way as the ones they replace.
    This is unlikely to be the case with all fixtures in their default settings, especially when replacing fixtures from a different manufacturer.

When this is done the next step is to check a preset focus. A straight and forward preset position is handy here. If the pan and tilt inverts are correct the position should look right with the new fixtures, assuming they are hung in the same places as the ones they have replaced.

However some fixtures' yokes will not always be square to the stage at 0º pan - xSpots, suoercycs, some varlites can be guilty of this.
    In this case the straight forward focus will have all the new lights pointing off to one side. To correct this open the edit fixtures window and alter the pan offset of the fixture so whilst in the focus (or at 0º pan) it points in the right direction. This will often apply to all fixtures on that truss or in the same orientation.

After the fixtures are so 'calibrated' the rest of the preset positions should be pretty close.

I have even used the pan and tilt offsets to 'focus' a festival/outdoor rig when i don't have time to update all my positions. make a 0º pan 45º tilt position and update it when you do a proper focus.
    Then when time is tight put your lights in that focus and using Edit Fixtures, get it looking right. Aterwards the lights are at least calibrated relative to each other, and should be close at least in the rest of the presets.....

Hope this helps and isn't all too obvious.

You've probably figured it out already....
  • Cormac,

This should usually be ok.

I would normally set up a show using pan/tilt inverts in the patch to have all the fixture types move the same way should you grab them all.

eg turning tilt encoder clockwise to moves fixtures out to audience and then pan encoder clockwise to move fixtures toward house right makes most sense to me.

So, when changing fixture types the first thing to do is use pan and tilt inverts so the new fixtures move in the same way as the ones they replace.
    This is unlikely to be the case with all fixtures in their default settings, especially when replacing fixtures from a different manufacturer.

When this is done the next step is to check a preset focus. A straight and forward preset position is handy here. If the pan and tilt inverts are correct the position should look right with the new fixtures, assuming they are hung in the same places as the ones they have replaced.

However some fixtures' yokes will not always be square to the stage at 0º pan - xSpots, suoercycs, some varlites can be guilty of this.
    In this case the straight forward focus will have all the new lights pointing off to one side. To correct this open the edit fixtures window and alter the pan offset of the fixture so whilst in the focus (or at 0º pan) it points in the right direction. This will often apply to all fixtures on that truss or in the same orientation.

After the fixtures are so 'calibrated' the rest of the preset positions should be pretty close.

I have even used the pan and tilt offsets to 'focus' a festival/outdoor rig when i don't have time to update all my positions. make a 0º pan 45º tilt position and update it when you do a proper focus.
    Then when time is tight put your lights in that focus and using Edit Fixtures, get it looking right. Aterwards the lights are at least calibrated relative to each other, and should be close at least in the rest of the presets.....

Hope this helps and isn't all too obvious.

You've probably figured it out already....
Children
No Data
Related