SDK for Connectivity?

Hi guys,

I have been writing a plugin for 3DS Max 2009 to control animation of lights within the scene. Basically it reads in "cues" as an XML file and outputs the animation channels.

I would really like to tie this in with Hog3PC (so that when the "next" button is pressed the animation channels are generated automatically in Max - not rendered in real time obviously, but at least then test renders can be done). Is there an SDK available (I am using VS2005 SP1, which is the platform for 3DS Max 2009) for the connectivity functions?

Or if there is nothing publically available, could someone point me in the right direction within HighEnd for someone to talk to about this?

Many thanks,

Martin
Parents
  • [quote=FirmamentFX]I agree - it would also get over the issue of DMX refreshing, as long as you could "get" data from the cue such as the length of time a fade / movement should take. That would prove tricky however for any movement that was not linear...
    [code]

[/code]
    again, you can define your nonlinear curves by translating the appropriate CrossfadeTable.

[quote=FirmamentFX]Excuse my ignorance. By that do you mean that the spotlight (or whatever kind of Max/Maya/V-Ray/finalRender light it is) should always be set to "look at" a dummy object/helper and it is that helper which is animated, rather than the light itself?
    yes, if you're focusing from the console, it's best to provide absolute coordinates to a light's "look at" parameters rather than rotating the actual light object by n degrees. this is, of course, totally up to you as to what fits best with your lighting style, but i found it much faster to put X/Y/Z into 3PC spreadsheets than to try and get rotation angles correct, render, repeat...

[quote=FirmamentFX]onClick, a UI will pop up asking for hanging position.yeah, to get all the wiring to be brain-dead simple, you almost have to. just don't forget that you can now fly (cascade, even) your hisides in at will, and they'll maintain their focus for you.

[quote=FirmamentFX]Perhaps it would be easier to create a simple(ish) UI inside the 3D app (or using the .NET connection in the latest Max) which emulates as closely as possible all the relevant 3PC functions.i did eventually conclude the same, though it was due to (expected) limitations in 3PC, and not the "intercommunication" process. WPF is my new best friend. exactly which 3PC functions are you thinking would be easier to rewrite?
  • [quote=FirmamentFX]I agree - it would also get over the issue of DMX refreshing, as long as you could "get" data from the cue such as the length of time a fade / movement should take. That would prove tricky however for any movement that was not linear...
    [code]

[/code]
    again, you can define your nonlinear curves by translating the appropriate CrossfadeTable.

[quote=FirmamentFX]Excuse my ignorance. By that do you mean that the spotlight (or whatever kind of Max/Maya/V-Ray/finalRender light it is) should always be set to "look at" a dummy object/helper and it is that helper which is animated, rather than the light itself?
    yes, if you're focusing from the console, it's best to provide absolute coordinates to a light's "look at" parameters rather than rotating the actual light object by n degrees. this is, of course, totally up to you as to what fits best with your lighting style, but i found it much faster to put X/Y/Z into 3PC spreadsheets than to try and get rotation angles correct, render, repeat...

[quote=FirmamentFX]onClick, a UI will pop up asking for hanging position.yeah, to get all the wiring to be brain-dead simple, you almost have to. just don't forget that you can now fly (cascade, even) your hisides in at will, and they'll maintain their focus for you.

[quote=FirmamentFX]Perhaps it would be easier to create a simple(ish) UI inside the 3D app (or using the .NET connection in the latest Max) which emulates as closely as possible all the relevant 3PC functions.i did eventually conclude the same, though it was due to (expected) limitations in 3PC, and not the "intercommunication" process. WPF is my new best friend. exactly which 3PC functions are you thinking would be easier to rewrite?
Children
No Data
Related