Roadhog: new user w/ questions

I work in a University Performing Arts Center, we have just purchased a Roadhog to replace an aging Echelon, to control 12 Studio Spots and 6 Studio Colors with occasional additions from local vendors.

By and large, i am very happy with The Roadhog (my first foray into the H3 era) and have found it to be a very shallow learning curve.... however I do have a few questions regarding backup files and saving to the USB flash drive. I hope someone can help me out here..

first off, is there a "SAVE AS" function that i am missing? I would like to have a master Start Up File, that has the Patch, and basic Palettes , and some basic cues, that could then be modified and saved by different users (This is not a formal teaching situation, but I do several inexperienced student operators of varying skill levels). Right now I am opening a new show for each user and Merging my Start Up file into their show, But the Patch does not merge (I may well be missing something there too), and it seems a clumsy process.

I know there is not a definitive answer to this, but how big should the show files be? When backing up to the USB drive, the files are in the 250-300mg
range, and take literally 10 minutes or more to transfer, and then a message appears saying the transfer failed, but when i load the USB drive into my desk top, the file is there and weighing in at around 290mg or so... This seems way to large for a lighting file, so i assume that either I am doing something wrong or the desk is... I can find Very little info in the manual regarding it.

Those are the two burning questions I have so far, there are others, but there is plenty of time in the future....

like I said in the beginning I like the desk, and feel pretty comfortable on it, it just seems like there shouls be an easier way to do these things!!

Thanks in Advance

Thom Roberts
Parents
  • Actually, I think both your questions are answered by making backup show files.

1) With your template show open, go to Setup->Shows->Backup to create a backup file of the show. It will have all the show info including pallets, patch, etc. When you want to start a new show, launch it from this backup file. Before it unpacks it, you will have the option to name the new show whatever you like.

2) When copying shows to USB, you should also only ever use the backup file of the show. It is a zipped version of your show and should be rather small (2mb or so for some of my current shows) and will transfer to a USB in seconds.

Hope that helps.
  • Actually, I think both your questions are answered by making backup show files.

1) With your template show open, go to Setup->Shows->Backup to create a backup file of the show. It will have all the show info including pallets, patch, etc. When you want to start a new show, launch it from this backup file. Before it unpacks it, you will have the option to name the new show whatever you like.

2) When copying shows to USB, you should also only ever use the backup file of the show. It is a zipped version of your show and should be rather small (2mb or so for some of my current shows) and will transfer to a USB in seconds.

Hope that helps.
Children
No Data
Related