future of wholehog 3

hi gents,
i have the feeling in germany ,are becoming less.when i talk to technicians more and more switsch to grand ma.wholehog is rarely.the wholehog 2 was overall , Or deceives? and when grandma 2 is commoing...vs wholehog 3...:hogsign:

greets dol
Parents
  • This will obviously be a rather biased site to compare consoles with, but I think the original poster is correct in that the Grand MA is now the industry standard for what a console should be able to do. From what I notice, most large events and concerts use them these days with a smaller share going between the Maxxyz, Hog 3 and a few Jands Vistas and Avo Pearls.

I know from my standpoint that I enjoy using the Maxxyz that I had at my last job more then the Hog 3 system. Its unfortunate that the Maxxyz has so many hardware issues, as the OS is extremely powerful and provides a more powerful base in which to program quickly and easily.

I feel like the Hog 3 system is just a bit behind the curve really. The effects system is harder to figure out and use compared to other systems, and the menu system clings too much to the old way the Hog 2 does things. Its certainly not horrible but its still a bit clunky and weird in my opinion. I know the Hog is alot cheaper then many other consoles and such, but I don't think thats a viable excuse anymore, especially on large scale productions where cost isn't as important as functionality.

Seems to me that the two main directions that things are going is network expandability and extra features like visualization and remote focus and such. Grand MA seems to have the lead on both of the these avenues, as they are the leader in being able to network a whole system together (as referenced by the Olympics this year) and control a huge amount of lights and such from one location. The Hog system has begun going this direction, but it certainly is behind the curve (no Artnet even after every other modern console is there already). I would include being able to Sync consoles as something that makes the GrandMA a step ahead too.

I guess what I would like to hear is what is in the works for the Hog when it comes to this kind of stuff. I know Artnet control has been in the works for a while, but what of ACN and RDM and such? I haven't heard anything about current hardware being compatible with these protocols, but I might just be out of the loop. You can bet that the GrandMA 2 will be fully capable of this kind of stuff, especially with more lights will be coming online with this kind of stuff before too long.

I know the Hog 2 was a great console and had cornered the market while it was in its hayday, but in many ways the Hog 3 clings too closely to that system and in my opinion needs to move forward and branch away.

JH
  • This will obviously be a rather biased site to compare consoles with, but I think the original poster is correct in that the Grand MA is now the industry standard for what a console should be able to do. From what I notice, most large events and concerts use them these days with a smaller share going between the Maxxyz, Hog 3 and a few Jands Vistas and Avo Pearls.

I know from my standpoint that I enjoy using the Maxxyz that I had at my last job more then the Hog 3 system. Its unfortunate that the Maxxyz has so many hardware issues, as the OS is extremely powerful and provides a more powerful base in which to program quickly and easily.

I feel like the Hog 3 system is just a bit behind the curve really. The effects system is harder to figure out and use compared to other systems, and the menu system clings too much to the old way the Hog 2 does things. Its certainly not horrible but its still a bit clunky and weird in my opinion. I know the Hog is alot cheaper then many other consoles and such, but I don't think thats a viable excuse anymore, especially on large scale productions where cost isn't as important as functionality.

Seems to me that the two main directions that things are going is network expandability and extra features like visualization and remote focus and such. Grand MA seems to have the lead on both of the these avenues, as they are the leader in being able to network a whole system together (as referenced by the Olympics this year) and control a huge amount of lights and such from one location. The Hog system has begun going this direction, but it certainly is behind the curve (no Artnet even after every other modern console is there already). I would include being able to Sync consoles as something that makes the GrandMA a step ahead too.

I guess what I would like to hear is what is in the works for the Hog when it comes to this kind of stuff. I know Artnet control has been in the works for a while, but what of ACN and RDM and such? I haven't heard anything about current hardware being compatible with these protocols, but I might just be out of the loop. You can bet that the GrandMA 2 will be fully capable of this kind of stuff, especially with more lights will be coming online with this kind of stuff before too long.

I know the Hog 2 was a great console and had cornered the market while it was in its hayday, but in many ways the Hog 3 clings too closely to that system and in my opinion needs to move forward and branch away.

JH
Children
No Data
Related