Weird Board Freeze

I have had this happen five times now. I am working on a small show on the full console. Client/Server, only 4 universes, and barely at that. I am programming along, not too fast and not slamming too many things at once when the board screens all go black and the mouse turns to an x and I can't restart any engines using pig open backspace. No response at all. So I have to reboot. I thought it was the one console I was using, so I switched the desks and rebooted (the one I was programming on I switched to my left and I started programming on the desk that was fine) and the SAME behavior happened. I had a wireless router in, so I unplugged that, and switched out some cables. I only programmed for an hour or so ater the last one, so I'm not sure if I solved it. Anyone had this happen?

The screens look EXACTLY like they do when you tell the console to quit and the screens go black before it tells you it's safe to shut the board down.

Any help would be great.

2.6.0 software, one ELO touchscreen in, one LCD monitor.
Parents
  • Hi Mark, et all:

Here are the specifics of our system, which we have out with Mark's show right now:

(2) Wholehog 3 Consoles - Running V.2.6.0 (Build 2071)
    (2) DP 2000 Processor
    (2) Linksys/Cisco SR224G Ethernet Switch
    (2) CyberPower OR700LCDRM1U Line-Interactive 700VA UPS
    (2) TMB ProPlex Cat5E / EtherCon Cable (connecting switch -to- console)
    (*) Generic Ethernet cables (inside the rack)
    (1) Elo 1725L Touchmonitor

I understand there is also a VGA monitor provided by the house. Not likely a factor. No external keyboards or mice, right?

Has anyone experienced hardware conflicts with this switch by any chance? It's a minimally managed switch, pretty solid and "dumb" which is a plus I think. We've been using 2 of them for over a year, no problems yet.

Mark, you are running stand-alone systems right now, yes? : (1) Console to (1) DP2000 via (1) Switch and (1) UPS as power supply only (not part of "network"). If you get a chance, do the console direct to DP to eliminate the switch as a possiblity (you need to use a crossover cable, not the EtherCon cable, since that is a straight cable). If it happens again, switch DP2000 units. If it happens again, I'd say the show file is corrupt somehow. Does that make sense to any other readers? I'm running out of ideas. If the same error has cropped up on 2 separate consoles, it seems extremely unlikely to be a physical problem with the board(s), right?

The only other thing I can possibly think of is that the OS clean install disc had some bad bit of data on it (these consoles were clean installed maybe 3-4 weeks ago). Does that sound possible even, or would the OS even run if that were the case? Are we getting pretty left field? Am I in the bleachers yet?

Keep me posted Mark ... anyone out there have anything to add to this mystery, please let us know.

Ah, the mysteries of life.

-S-
  • Hi Mark, et all:

Here are the specifics of our system, which we have out with Mark's show right now:

(2) Wholehog 3 Consoles - Running V.2.6.0 (Build 2071)
    (2) DP 2000 Processor
    (2) Linksys/Cisco SR224G Ethernet Switch
    (2) CyberPower OR700LCDRM1U Line-Interactive 700VA UPS
    (2) TMB ProPlex Cat5E / EtherCon Cable (connecting switch -to- console)
    (*) Generic Ethernet cables (inside the rack)
    (1) Elo 1725L Touchmonitor

I understand there is also a VGA monitor provided by the house. Not likely a factor. No external keyboards or mice, right?

Has anyone experienced hardware conflicts with this switch by any chance? It's a minimally managed switch, pretty solid and "dumb" which is a plus I think. We've been using 2 of them for over a year, no problems yet.

Mark, you are running stand-alone systems right now, yes? : (1) Console to (1) DP2000 via (1) Switch and (1) UPS as power supply only (not part of "network"). If you get a chance, do the console direct to DP to eliminate the switch as a possiblity (you need to use a crossover cable, not the EtherCon cable, since that is a straight cable). If it happens again, switch DP2000 units. If it happens again, I'd say the show file is corrupt somehow. Does that make sense to any other readers? I'm running out of ideas. If the same error has cropped up on 2 separate consoles, it seems extremely unlikely to be a physical problem with the board(s), right?

The only other thing I can possibly think of is that the OS clean install disc had some bad bit of data on it (these consoles were clean installed maybe 3-4 weeks ago). Does that sound possible even, or would the OS even run if that were the case? Are we getting pretty left field? Am I in the bleachers yet?

Keep me posted Mark ... anyone out there have anything to add to this mystery, please let us know.

Ah, the mysteries of life.

-S-
Children
No Data
Related