Bring up output by dimmer

Sorry for the stupid new-user question, but I can't figure out how to bring up an output by dimmer on a RoadHog. I asked a couple of Hog experts and they said you do it by "DMX." I searched the whole manual for DMX and couldn't figure it out. They thought it was in the patch screen, but I can't find anything remotely like dimmer or DMX. I brought up the DMX output screen and tried "setting" an output, but that didn't work. In learning the Hog, I've discovered that it does most everything the traditional boards do, it just calls it something different. That makes it a little hard to search the manual to find what I want, but I'm adapting.

Anyway, what I want is the function that every console has had from day one: bring up a dimmer for focus or whatever. On Obsession, you just say "Dimmer xx at xxx enter" to bring up a dimmer. You can also park dimmers on. The syntax on Strand 520 is similar and the tricky thing is knowing to press "dimmer-dimmer" to unpark the dimmer. But for the life of me, I can't find how Hog3 brings up dimmers. Sorry for the stupid question, but I've spent a long time looking for it and I feel really stupid that I can't find it. If it's not called DMX or dimmer or DP, I can't guess what it might be.
Parents
  • Here's the terminology I'm accustomed to. A circuit is the wire that runs from a fixture to the dimmer rack. The circuit connects to dimmers in the dimmer rack. A DMX signal enters the dimmer rack and controls the dimmers. The dimmers output up to 120V on the circuit which goes to the fixture. The console connects to the DMX which controls the dimmers. The console has channels and a soft-patch allows the console to patch a channel to a "dimmer" or DMX channel. The Hog3 Patch screen does this patching function that maps channels to dimmers. At the dimmer rack, circuits are plugged into the back of the dimmer packs. This is the hard-patch. It maps circuits to dimmers. Nowadays, most facilities have dimmer-per-circuit which eliminates the hard patch and dimmers and circuits have the same numbers.

It's possible that the console has a one-to-one patch where the channel matches the dimmer number. Some consoles don't have soft patch, and this is the case. Hog3 allows patching as do most modern high end boards.

The Hog3 patches fixtures, which in the case of a dimmer rack are "desk channels" to the dimmers. Some fixtures have multiple DMX channels, e.g. color faders have cyan, magenta, and yellow. On the Obsession, these are patched as scrollers, but still require a channel. On the Strand 520, they are patched as fixtures and become subsets of the intensity channel. It is possible to address the intensity DMX of channel 5 as 5.1, for example. This parallels the Hog3 except these are a little more visible in the Strand 520. In the Obsession, they are somewhat more visible since the Obsession doesn't handle moving lights very well.

So, what I would like to do is address dimmer #5 in the dimmer rack directly, independent of the channel it is assigned to. Or on a moving light, I might want to bring up cyan. (Ok, not so common, but I have done it to troubleshoot.) Bringing up a dimmer is usually a troubleshooting maneuver or else a focus maneuver. When I'm focusing two instruments that are patched to the same channel but on different circuits, I can bring up one for focus without the other.
  • Here's the terminology I'm accustomed to. A circuit is the wire that runs from a fixture to the dimmer rack. The circuit connects to dimmers in the dimmer rack. A DMX signal enters the dimmer rack and controls the dimmers. The dimmers output up to 120V on the circuit which goes to the fixture. The console connects to the DMX which controls the dimmers. The console has channels and a soft-patch allows the console to patch a channel to a "dimmer" or DMX channel. The Hog3 Patch screen does this patching function that maps channels to dimmers. At the dimmer rack, circuits are plugged into the back of the dimmer packs. This is the hard-patch. It maps circuits to dimmers. Nowadays, most facilities have dimmer-per-circuit which eliminates the hard patch and dimmers and circuits have the same numbers.

It's possible that the console has a one-to-one patch where the channel matches the dimmer number. Some consoles don't have soft patch, and this is the case. Hog3 allows patching as do most modern high end boards.

The Hog3 patches fixtures, which in the case of a dimmer rack are "desk channels" to the dimmers. Some fixtures have multiple DMX channels, e.g. color faders have cyan, magenta, and yellow. On the Obsession, these are patched as scrollers, but still require a channel. On the Strand 520, they are patched as fixtures and become subsets of the intensity channel. It is possible to address the intensity DMX of channel 5 as 5.1, for example. This parallels the Hog3 except these are a little more visible in the Strand 520. In the Obsession, they are somewhat more visible since the Obsession doesn't handle moving lights very well.

So, what I would like to do is address dimmer #5 in the dimmer rack directly, independent of the channel it is assigned to. Or on a moving light, I might want to bring up cyan. (Ok, not so common, but I have done it to troubleshoot.) Bringing up a dimmer is usually a troubleshooting maneuver or else a focus maneuver. When I'm focusing two instruments that are patched to the same channel but on different circuits, I can bring up one for focus without the other.
Children
No Data
Related