Bring up output by dimmer

Sorry for the stupid new-user question, but I can't figure out how to bring up an output by dimmer on a RoadHog. I asked a couple of Hog experts and they said you do it by "DMX." I searched the whole manual for DMX and couldn't figure it out. They thought it was in the patch screen, but I can't find anything remotely like dimmer or DMX. I brought up the DMX output screen and tried "setting" an output, but that didn't work. In learning the Hog, I've discovered that it does most everything the traditional boards do, it just calls it something different. That makes it a little hard to search the manual to find what I want, but I'm adapting.

Anyway, what I want is the function that every console has had from day one: bring up a dimmer for focus or whatever. On Obsession, you just say "Dimmer xx at xxx enter" to bring up a dimmer. You can also park dimmers on. The syntax on Strand 520 is similar and the tricky thing is knowing to press "dimmer-dimmer" to unpark the dimmer. But for the life of me, I can't find how Hog3 brings up dimmers. Sorry for the stupid question, but I've spent a long time looking for it and I feel really stupid that I can't find it. If it's not called DMX or dimmer or DP, I can't guess what it might be.
Parents
  • [quote=jthatcher]So if you bring up desk channel that has a dmx address of15 & 1 assigned to it will always bring up both dmx assignments.
    So you're saying there is no way to bring up by dimmer, only by channel? I'm talking about the Hog3, not a Dove board. That's unbelievable. Really?? You can't bring up a dimmer? Wow! That's pretty basic stuff. Is there a workaround? What do people normally do instead? How do you troubleshoot? As with most everything else when I thought Hog3 won't do something, there is some other useful function that gets you where you want to go through a completely different route. Any idea what that might be?

For example, I was at a theater where the dimmers had been patched so that two universes overlapped. I think universe two started at 513, but universe 3 started somewhere in the 400's of universe 2 and continued on to universe 3. I finally just started stepping through dimmer numbers until the fixture came alive. At that point I knew the actual DMX number it was responding to and could patch it to a channel. How would you handle this on the Hog3? Would I have to patch the fixture to every possible dimmer one at a time until I found it? That's a lot more tedious than just pressing "Next".
  • [quote=jthatcher]So if you bring up desk channel that has a dmx address of15 & 1 assigned to it will always bring up both dmx assignments.
    So you're saying there is no way to bring up by dimmer, only by channel? I'm talking about the Hog3, not a Dove board. That's unbelievable. Really?? You can't bring up a dimmer? Wow! That's pretty basic stuff. Is there a workaround? What do people normally do instead? How do you troubleshoot? As with most everything else when I thought Hog3 won't do something, there is some other useful function that gets you where you want to go through a completely different route. Any idea what that might be?

For example, I was at a theater where the dimmers had been patched so that two universes overlapped. I think universe two started at 513, but universe 3 started somewhere in the 400's of universe 2 and continued on to universe 3. I finally just started stepping through dimmer numbers until the fixture came alive. At that point I knew the actual DMX number it was responding to and could patch it to a channel. How would you handle this on the Hog3? Would I have to patch the fixture to every possible dimmer one at a time until I found it? That's a lot more tedious than just pressing "Next".
Children
No Data
Related