bi-directional lighting control protocol (wow that´s a mouthful)

I know this has come up several times but for the sake of all those who have no idea what i´m talking about ill say it all again:D.

how would you guys like to see implemented a bi-directional lighting control protocol. So you just would plug in your DMX, ArtNet, HogNet (what is that btw?) and the fixtures would talk to the console and tell it what it was and how many channels it uses, what channels do what and so on . . . . . . . . . . .essentially meaning that you could forget about patching altogether. and if the fixture tells the console what its footprint is the whole problem of fixture librarys would cease to exist

I know if ive got this wrong someone will correct me:footinmouth:

thoughts? ideas? suggestions? comments? pros and cons?
Parents
  • RDM has been released for a couple years now. You are starting to see full support of it in a lot of new products. It is fully supported in SHOWPIX, StudioPix, SHOWGUN, and any new lights coming from HES. It is also in many Robe and I believe Martin fixtures now and dozens of other products. It is a true interoperable standard.

Art-Net also includes support for RDM messaging so you can have full functionality there as well.

Being the person that created Fixture Talkback and also the architect for RDM, the reason Fixture Talkback never got any traction was because it was a proprietary HES protocol. It was not an open protocol others could implement and it never even got fully implemented in Hog2 as Hog3 was already underway. RDM being a true ANSI Standard that had the involvement of a couple dozen people solves those problems.

I believe Quinn is a bit misinformed on ACN. The promise of what ACN *could* do is great, but there are many pieces still missing that keep it from being a completed Standard. The core parts of it are released, but the portions necessary to provide true plug-and-play interoperability are missing. That and the complexity is why I believe the uptake of it has been slow. Just comparing the amount of gear at the trade shows that speaks RDM vs. ACN is evidence of that.

Once E1.31 is released, that may end up being all the market really wants. I see lots of excitement for E1.31 but not for ACN itself.
  • RDM has been released for a couple years now. You are starting to see full support of it in a lot of new products. It is fully supported in SHOWPIX, StudioPix, SHOWGUN, and any new lights coming from HES. It is also in many Robe and I believe Martin fixtures now and dozens of other products. It is a true interoperable standard.

Art-Net also includes support for RDM messaging so you can have full functionality there as well.

Being the person that created Fixture Talkback and also the architect for RDM, the reason Fixture Talkback never got any traction was because it was a proprietary HES protocol. It was not an open protocol others could implement and it never even got fully implemented in Hog2 as Hog3 was already underway. RDM being a true ANSI Standard that had the involvement of a couple dozen people solves those problems.

I believe Quinn is a bit misinformed on ACN. The promise of what ACN *could* do is great, but there are many pieces still missing that keep it from being a completed Standard. The core parts of it are released, but the portions necessary to provide true plug-and-play interoperability are missing. That and the complexity is why I believe the uptake of it has been slow. Just comparing the amount of gear at the trade shows that speaks RDM vs. ACN is evidence of that.

Once E1.31 is released, that may end up being all the market really wants. I see lots of excitement for E1.31 but not for ACN itself.
Children
No Data
Related