DMX 8000 Processor as Artnet node

Are there any plans to have the DMX 8000 Processor act as an Artnet node, as the DP2000 does? I can see this being useful in a few (rare) instances.

-RB
Parents
  • Just remember that Brad says it is already logged, so my original request is answered.....

My Hog and DP8k are currently installed in a permanent venue, the Hog at FOH and the DP hidden in a rack in a completely seperate room. The link between them is a CAT6 run in the wall. This, of course, works well for the shows I design and program, and most of the tours also.

The problem comes with the few shows that bring their own console. With my Hog network, the actual DMX generating device is located remotely, so all of the DMX distribution is also remote. So to accept a touring console, I have to run a 7 universe snake from FOH to the remote room. It would seem ideal to me that during these shows with touring consoles, I could fully replace my Hognet link between FOH and the DP8k with an artnet link between the DP8k and the touring console outputting Artnet natively. I would still be using my exisiting in-wall cabeling, normal dmx distribution, and DP8k as the central hub of the network.

I agree it would be foolish to buy a DMX 8000 Processor to act only as an 8-port artnet node. Just as it would be foolish to buy a DP2k to only be a 4-port arnet node. The added functionality sinply makes the processor that much more flexible and robust.

Seriously, though, what happened to the beer tap? Brad, is that logged? A retrofit maybe?

-RB
  • Just remember that Brad says it is already logged, so my original request is answered.....

My Hog and DP8k are currently installed in a permanent venue, the Hog at FOH and the DP hidden in a rack in a completely seperate room. The link between them is a CAT6 run in the wall. This, of course, works well for the shows I design and program, and most of the tours also.

The problem comes with the few shows that bring their own console. With my Hog network, the actual DMX generating device is located remotely, so all of the DMX distribution is also remote. So to accept a touring console, I have to run a 7 universe snake from FOH to the remote room. It would seem ideal to me that during these shows with touring consoles, I could fully replace my Hognet link between FOH and the DP8k with an artnet link between the DP8k and the touring console outputting Artnet natively. I would still be using my exisiting in-wall cabeling, normal dmx distribution, and DP8k as the central hub of the network.

I agree it would be foolish to buy a DMX 8000 Processor to act only as an 8-port artnet node. Just as it would be foolish to buy a DP2k to only be a 4-port arnet node. The added functionality sinply makes the processor that much more flexible and robust.

Seriously, though, what happened to the beer tap? Brad, is that logged? A retrofit maybe?

-RB
Children
No Data
Related