Wholehog 4

Should HES make a Wholehog 4? Post your suggestions. :hogsign:
Parents
  • [QUOTE=Marty Postma;52242]Any console is far better off with a separate visualizer. The resources it takes to get decent visualization are ones I would not want to take away from the desk. "networking in" visualizers is really the best approach. That way you have dedicated processing/GPU resources.....just look at what is required for a good ESP or WYG system nowadays!

Yes and Yes

Screw Apple! They change what hardware they support at the drop of a hat with no re4gard for their user base! Vista was a joke, but Win7 is pretty sweet.

Probably will never see one as there are so many options with tablets, laptops, etc to network for this....much better for the user to pick the one that works best for their application than a far more expensive "stock" one. I hear iPad/iPhone apps are in the works as well which would make some happy I know.

And also:

There was a rumor that eventually XPe will be phased out and all the desks will run Linux. I highly support that idea!

But saying that Linux is anything like the Unix running under OSX is like saying Windows is the same as Mac.

I have worked on both, and they are almost identical once you get past the GUI, which is not a part of the O/S per-se. Both are a pretty fundamental *nix derivative, and offer the same utilities. Apple chose to go the idiot-proof route on their GUI, and Linux chose to give you all the choices you can stand . . . but under the covers, more the same than different! Frankly, a lot of the libraries and stuff upon which a lot of software depends are similar (if not the same) on OS/X and Linux . . . making code compatibility much more simplistic between them than Win and Mac by miles!

Drop into a shell window on a current MAC sometime, and poke around . . . you will likely be amazed at how similar it is to any other *nix!

And yes, Win and Mac are *very* different - under the covers as well. Totally different roots on the OS *and* the GUI . . . .

- Tim
  • [QUOTE=Marty Postma;52242]Any console is far better off with a separate visualizer. The resources it takes to get decent visualization are ones I would not want to take away from the desk. "networking in" visualizers is really the best approach. That way you have dedicated processing/GPU resources.....just look at what is required for a good ESP or WYG system nowadays!

Yes and Yes

Screw Apple! They change what hardware they support at the drop of a hat with no re4gard for their user base! Vista was a joke, but Win7 is pretty sweet.

Probably will never see one as there are so many options with tablets, laptops, etc to network for this....much better for the user to pick the one that works best for their application than a far more expensive "stock" one. I hear iPad/iPhone apps are in the works as well which would make some happy I know.

And also:

There was a rumor that eventually XPe will be phased out and all the desks will run Linux. I highly support that idea!

But saying that Linux is anything like the Unix running under OSX is like saying Windows is the same as Mac.

I have worked on both, and they are almost identical once you get past the GUI, which is not a part of the O/S per-se. Both are a pretty fundamental *nix derivative, and offer the same utilities. Apple chose to go the idiot-proof route on their GUI, and Linux chose to give you all the choices you can stand . . . but under the covers, more the same than different! Frankly, a lot of the libraries and stuff upon which a lot of software depends are similar (if not the same) on OS/X and Linux . . . making code compatibility much more simplistic between them than Win and Mac by miles!

Drop into a shell window on a current MAC sometime, and poke around . . . you will likely be amazed at how similar it is to any other *nix!

And yes, Win and Mac are *very* different - under the covers as well. Totally different roots on the OS *and* the GUI . . . .

- Tim
Children
No Data
Related