B2417 Bug report: dropping key strokes

1/14/09
V3.0.0 b2417
1 - Hog III
ESP Vision

Issue - The keypad on the desk is dropping the "." about 80% of the time. If I type quickly, the "." is ignored. If I do it slowly, all is good. I know this was fixed during the last cycle, but it seems to have returned.
Parents
  • Some technical detail on what's happening:
    Most of the keys on the number pad work on key-down events; That means the key is added to the command line when you press the key. But, the keys that can be used as modifiers work on key-up (when you release the key).

In older versions, the decimal point key worked on key down. But when "set defaults was added", it changed to acting on key up.

In most cases, that works fine. But fast typists will have multiple keys down simutaneously. So, if you type 12.3 quickly, the 3 will sometimes be pressed before the "." is released, and you'll end up with 123. on the command line. So, technically keys are not getting dropped; they're ending up in the wrong order (either result is just as frustrating when you're trying to work quickly).

So what's the "right" solution to this? One option is the ability to turn off set defaults (thereby moving "." back to working on key-down), another option is to move set defaults to another key.
  • Some technical detail on what's happening:
    Most of the keys on the number pad work on key-down events; That means the key is added to the command line when you press the key. But, the keys that can be used as modifiers work on key-up (when you release the key).

In older versions, the decimal point key worked on key down. But when "set defaults was added", it changed to acting on key up.

In most cases, that works fine. But fast typists will have multiple keys down simutaneously. So, if you type 12.3 quickly, the 3 will sometimes be pressed before the "." is released, and you'll end up with 123. on the command line. So, technically keys are not getting dropped; they're ending up in the wrong order (either result is just as frustrating when you're trying to work quickly).

So what's the "right" solution to this? One option is the ability to turn off set defaults (thereby moving "." back to working on key-down), another option is to move set defaults to another key.
Children
No Data
Related