Routers

Which router(s) do you guys use. I am looking for one to connect 1 H3, 2 DP8k, and to use as a wirless access point for a tablet PC. I am thinking an N1 router with at least 4 ports. Which ones do you guys use in your systems, and would you reccomend them?
Parents
  • A note on manual IP addressing, which is really the best policy with the networks...although setting down a list of all your devices and writing out your IP addresses for each ahead of time is a good way to keep things organized and clear, i.e. all consoles in the 192.168.1.1xx range, all DPs in the 192.168.1.2xx range, etc., if time or aptitude is a consideration, by connecting the network and all its components and setting on ONLY ONE device to hand out addresses via DHCP, and all OTHER components to receive IP addresses via DHCP, you will then have received network wide IP addresses automatically. Then, turn off receive IP addresses via DHCP and those last addresses handed out will remain (autofill) as the Static IP addresses. Your network is now complete with static IP addresses. Turn off DHCP. A word of caution (thanks J. Thatcher) beware of any devices which still have their default IP addresses as 192.168.1.1 etc., this default will knock things offline as it will nearly always conflict with another default address on a device. (for example a new network drive and a new wireless router or card, etc.) Another consideration is that the WH3 will put out addresses in the 172.31.xxx.xxx range while a wireless router will hand out in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range. I have a hunch, and I welcome comments about this, that it's easier to set up a network in the 192.168 range, especially when network drives and wireless routers are to be added.
  • A note on manual IP addressing, which is really the best policy with the networks...although setting down a list of all your devices and writing out your IP addresses for each ahead of time is a good way to keep things organized and clear, i.e. all consoles in the 192.168.1.1xx range, all DPs in the 192.168.1.2xx range, etc., if time or aptitude is a consideration, by connecting the network and all its components and setting on ONLY ONE device to hand out addresses via DHCP, and all OTHER components to receive IP addresses via DHCP, you will then have received network wide IP addresses automatically. Then, turn off receive IP addresses via DHCP and those last addresses handed out will remain (autofill) as the Static IP addresses. Your network is now complete with static IP addresses. Turn off DHCP. A word of caution (thanks J. Thatcher) beware of any devices which still have their default IP addresses as 192.168.1.1 etc., this default will knock things offline as it will nearly always conflict with another default address on a device. (for example a new network drive and a new wireless router or card, etc.) Another consideration is that the WH3 will put out addresses in the 172.31.xxx.xxx range while a wireless router will hand out in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range. I have a hunch, and I welcome comments about this, that it's easier to set up a network in the 192.168 range, especially when network drives and wireless routers are to be added.
Children
No Data
Related