USB connectors

Does anyone have a quick fix or repairing the cheap but essential $30 printer-style USB 'B' connector on the back of the professional touring product- 'wholehog expansion wing' without voiding its warranty?

Rob G

Oasis

p'd off

www.neutrik.com/fl/en/dataconnectors/204_1047652869/USB_productlist.aspx
Parents
  • If the Wing is under warrany, send it in for service.

If it's not under warranty and you have experience with soldering multi-layer circuit boards, then it's straightforward to change the USB connector. We use a Molex 67068-8000, but you should be able to find a suitable cross in Digikey, Mouser, Farnell, etc.

I'd love to use a more rugged USB connector, unfortunately there are no good options. You mention the Neutrik Datacons. The Ethercons are great (RJ45 connector in a XLR-style surround). But if you look more closely at the USB Datacon you'll find that it's not a real connector. You can't actually buy a cable with the USB Datacon connecor. That product you linked to is only there to allow you to install a USB passthrough in to a panel that's punched for XLR connectors.

I'm always on the lookout for a practical ruggedized USB connector. The closest I've found is a standard USB jack with an IP68 style surround.
  • If the Wing is under warrany, send it in for service.

If it's not under warranty and you have experience with soldering multi-layer circuit boards, then it's straightforward to change the USB connector. We use a Molex 67068-8000, but you should be able to find a suitable cross in Digikey, Mouser, Farnell, etc.

I'd love to use a more rugged USB connector, unfortunately there are no good options. You mention the Neutrik Datacons. The Ethercons are great (RJ45 connector in a XLR-style surround). But if you look more closely at the USB Datacon you'll find that it's not a real connector. You can't actually buy a cable with the USB Datacon connecor. That product you linked to is only there to allow you to install a USB passthrough in to a panel that's punched for XLR connectors.

I'm always on the lookout for a practical ruggedized USB connector. The closest I've found is a standard USB jack with an IP68 style surround.
Children
No Data
Related