USB connectors

Does anyone have a quick fix or repairing the cheap but essential $30 printer-style USB 'B' connector on the back of the professional touring product- 'wholehog expansion wing' without voiding its warranty?

Rob G

Oasis

p'd off

www.neutrik.com/fl/en/dataconnectors/204_1047652869/USB_productlist.aspx
Parents
  • The Wing wasn't under warranty but it was on tour.

Sending it in for a service isn't always an option especially when you have a show the night that the product fails.

We did try to replace the connector - after contacting the company it was sub-hired from to check we were not going to void their warranty with an on-site repair.

The runner and our tech were dispatched to a local store and found the part for a princely $2 or thereabouts, however we were unable to effect a stable repair under show conditions and not wishing to risk any further damage to the Wing it remained unusable for the last three shows of the tour.

I suspect the problem to be one of two things, the connector itself, or a dry joint between the connector and pcb, caused by a flimsy connection being made and unmade every day which will surely lead to problems over time - there appears to be no support for that connector other than the solder that holds it to the pcb. Is there not a way to employ a kind of ribbon between the board and the back of the connector for example, a la the Hog II DMX connectors for example.
    Would this help to alleviate the problem of dry joints developing between connector and board and make the usb socket easier to change when it does fail?
    I wonder if there is a similar situation in the Playback wings, do you see the similar problems there?
  • The Wing wasn't under warranty but it was on tour.

Sending it in for a service isn't always an option especially when you have a show the night that the product fails.

We did try to replace the connector - after contacting the company it was sub-hired from to check we were not going to void their warranty with an on-site repair.

The runner and our tech were dispatched to a local store and found the part for a princely $2 or thereabouts, however we were unable to effect a stable repair under show conditions and not wishing to risk any further damage to the Wing it remained unusable for the last three shows of the tour.

I suspect the problem to be one of two things, the connector itself, or a dry joint between the connector and pcb, caused by a flimsy connection being made and unmade every day which will surely lead to problems over time - there appears to be no support for that connector other than the solder that holds it to the pcb. Is there not a way to employ a kind of ribbon between the board and the back of the connector for example, a la the Hog II DMX connectors for example.
    Would this help to alleviate the problem of dry joints developing between connector and board and make the usb socket easier to change when it does fail?
    I wonder if there is a similar situation in the Playback wings, do you see the similar problems there?
Children
No Data
Related