Random Offsets

I would like a button in the effect directory/engine where I can select my fixtures and press "random offset" to give each of them a random offset. As the fixture count gets bigger, the time I have to take to assign each fixture a different "random" one, gets longer and more time consuming.

Or when things like the calculator are implemented, there to be an option of a random number between 0 and 360. I would find this request very useful, but I know it will go to the bottom of the pile (and rightly so); but still, could somebody please log it if it hasn’t been already?

Alternatively, if anybody has any other suggestions on how to do this very quickly, I am all ears!

Regards,
Parents
  • To echo Brad's sentiment...

Joe,

This is how I approach this issue:

If I want a random offset of a parameter (FX offset for instance), I would...

1-Select a range of fixtures

2-Hit EFFECT

3-Apply my FX table

4-Hold down FAN

5-Select Shuffle on the bottom of the right touch screen (while still holding down fan)

6-Tweak my offset values until they look random (Usually I start by rolling from 0 degrees all the way to 360 degrees on the visible value).

7-Adjust from there.

I believe what you're asking for is a shortcut to do a random 0>360 offset of a value, which I actually think is a pretty interesting thought.

One thing to note is that you can actually do this via text entry in the programmer/editor. That works like this:

1- Select fixtures

2- At the bottom of the right touchscreen, tap SELECT, then tap SHUFFLE

3- In a parameter cell of the editor window (Intensity for instance), tap the cell, tap SET, then enter [0] THRU [100] (or some other range). Hit ENTER.

4- Those values will now be fanned through these values in a 'random' order.

(I actually use this method a lot on Delay times to get 'random' looking fades, position changes, or color changes)

The only problem with this method is that I believe it does not work in the FX table currently. I think there is an existing Enhancement logged for this. (Can you confirm that Brad?)

If this soft key were added, I would like it to function as a MIN>MAX range. So, if you were editing a cell whose values went from 0>360 (degrees), the button should automatically FAN a range of 0>360. If the values possible were 0>100, I would like it to FAN a range of 0>100.

However, I would still like it to be linear, so that you could combine it with SHUFFLE or any other ordering that you did.

Thoughts?

Phil
  • To echo Brad's sentiment...

Joe,

This is how I approach this issue:

If I want a random offset of a parameter (FX offset for instance), I would...

1-Select a range of fixtures

2-Hit EFFECT

3-Apply my FX table

4-Hold down FAN

5-Select Shuffle on the bottom of the right touch screen (while still holding down fan)

6-Tweak my offset values until they look random (Usually I start by rolling from 0 degrees all the way to 360 degrees on the visible value).

7-Adjust from there.

I believe what you're asking for is a shortcut to do a random 0>360 offset of a value, which I actually think is a pretty interesting thought.

One thing to note is that you can actually do this via text entry in the programmer/editor. That works like this:

1- Select fixtures

2- At the bottom of the right touchscreen, tap SELECT, then tap SHUFFLE

3- In a parameter cell of the editor window (Intensity for instance), tap the cell, tap SET, then enter [0] THRU [100] (or some other range). Hit ENTER.

4- Those values will now be fanned through these values in a 'random' order.

(I actually use this method a lot on Delay times to get 'random' looking fades, position changes, or color changes)

The only problem with this method is that I believe it does not work in the FX table currently. I think there is an existing Enhancement logged for this. (Can you confirm that Brad?)

If this soft key were added, I would like it to function as a MIN>MAX range. So, if you were editing a cell whose values went from 0>360 (degrees), the button should automatically FAN a range of 0>360. If the values possible were 0>100, I would like it to FAN a range of 0>100.

However, I would still like it to be linear, so that you could combine it with SHUFFLE or any other ordering that you did.

Thoughts?

Phil
Children
No Data
Related