VMware vs parallels in the Hog/lighting world

Hey all-

I'm unfortunately and fortunately in the market for a new computer right now, as my Powerbook finally bit the dust! I'm wondering, I read all about VMware and parallels (mainly the latter) being used in the lighting world (and others). Is there a plus to either piece? Does anyone have a preference for a reason? Does one work better than the other?

Thanks!
Parents
  • Good question, easy answer: rendering and CAD. I have done a lot of work with Vectorworks on the Mac. I don't want to rebuy everything for a windows machine, when I can just transfer over a lot of what I have for the Mac to the new one. Plus, if I just said, well, I'll get updates for all the software and call it a night: a high end PC is going to cost the same as a Mac, pretty much no matter. Maybe slightly cheaper, but maybe slightly more expensive as well.

Long and short of it, I don't want to rebuy everything I already have.

Also, I know before anyone asks, in a show situation, use Bootcamp. I'm just asking for a general feeling on the virtual desk programs.
  • Good question, easy answer: rendering and CAD. I have done a lot of work with Vectorworks on the Mac. I don't want to rebuy everything for a windows machine, when I can just transfer over a lot of what I have for the Mac to the new one. Plus, if I just said, well, I'll get updates for all the software and call it a night: a high end PC is going to cost the same as a Mac, pretty much no matter. Maybe slightly cheaper, but maybe slightly more expensive as well.

Long and short of it, I don't want to rebuy everything I already have.

Also, I know before anyone asks, in a show situation, use Bootcamp. I'm just asking for a general feeling on the virtual desk programs.
Children
No Data
Related