Gobos and Smooth Transitions Again

Hey All,

I know that this has been talked about in the forums already but from what I was reading it was very unorganized and I don't think I saw a solid answer. I am currently working with some Elation Design Spot 250s for a small show and, go figure, am trying to make one gobo slowly transition to the gobo 2 slots away from it in 5 seconds. Can anyone give me a hint? Did we come to the conclusion that depending on the manufacture some fixtures don't have a "slow index roll" because of the designs of their gears?:blackeye:
Parents
  • [quote=bradpepe;38905]Joe,

To clarify the reason that many slotted parameter are prohibited from crossfading is not due to the motors burning out. It is actually because many wheels (particularly rotating gobos) do not handle the heat well when left in the path of the light. When you have crossfade control, this means that the user can stop the wheel at any point via DMX. This can result in the metal being in the path of the light and will either warp the metal wheel, heat the grease for gears, heat the gears, or crack dichrohics.

For these reasons, many manufacturers do not allow wheels to be continuously controlled via DMX. Usually however there is some sort of speed control where you can tell the fixture the speed at which to change from one slot to another (Mspeed in HES fixtures). This allows the user to control the speed of changes, yet not park the wheel in non-desirable locations.

Thanks for that Brad. I was told a year or so ago by a former member of the Martin service dept that it really screwed up the motors inside the fixture. So I went of the fact that it was the main issue. But thanks for the insight.

Regards,
  • [quote=bradpepe;38905]Joe,

To clarify the reason that many slotted parameter are prohibited from crossfading is not due to the motors burning out. It is actually because many wheels (particularly rotating gobos) do not handle the heat well when left in the path of the light. When you have crossfade control, this means that the user can stop the wheel at any point via DMX. This can result in the metal being in the path of the light and will either warp the metal wheel, heat the grease for gears, heat the gears, or crack dichrohics.

For these reasons, many manufacturers do not allow wheels to be continuously controlled via DMX. Usually however there is some sort of speed control where you can tell the fixture the speed at which to change from one slot to another (Mspeed in HES fixtures). This allows the user to control the speed of changes, yet not park the wheel in non-desirable locations.

Thanks for that Brad. I was told a year or so ago by a former member of the Martin service dept that it really screwed up the motors inside the fixture. So I went of the fact that it was the main issue. But thanks for the insight.

Regards,
Children
No Data
Related