Putting mulitple network protocals through the same switch..

I am planning a show using a Full Boar and 2 Hippo's...

I will have a Critter FOH to remotely manage the full size Hippo (stage or HD.. have not decided yet) over Hippo-Net. Right next to the FB too...

Then I will have the FB outputting Hog-Net to DPs in the stage area... and furthermore Art-Net to the Full size Hippo to control it off DMX. (The critter is purely to monitor the full size Hippo so I can then perform certain remote tasks such as on/off)

My question is... can I (or is it advisable not to) run Hog-Net, Hippo-Net and Art-Net all through the same switch FOH to save on cabling and switches...

I did PM Eric about this... but he suggested that I put it here so all of the users can have the benefit of his knowledge (and others).

So... has anybody had any good or bad experiences doing this or something similar?

Thanks,
Parents
  • You should look into using VLANs and decent switches. Using a gigabit link between FOH and the stage racks will have plenty of throughput of data for uploading as well as hognet and artnet. I wouldn't recommend putting artnet in with anything else since its protocol blasts packets everywhere and can get messy.

Take a look at the HP Procurve switches. I personally have the 1800 since it is fanless. It is only a layer two which is all you would need. You set portions of the switch ports to different VLANs (one Hognet, one Artnet, one Hippo) and then a pair of ports (one for backup) to be a trunk port on both switches which will carry all 3 like a pipeline. You can do up to 64 individual VLAN's on it, which is way more ports then you have. Email me if you have more questions about it. I wouldn't recommend any netgear switches. The fans seize up and then they won't replace them. The procurves have next day advanced replacement for the period you own the switch (lifetime). It is also pretty cost effective. And on a side note, you may have to set the Artnet ports to be locked at 10mbit or 100 mbit as some devices don't like 1gig. Most will auto sense to the proper setting.

Ryan
  • You should look into using VLANs and decent switches. Using a gigabit link between FOH and the stage racks will have plenty of throughput of data for uploading as well as hognet and artnet. I wouldn't recommend putting artnet in with anything else since its protocol blasts packets everywhere and can get messy.

Take a look at the HP Procurve switches. I personally have the 1800 since it is fanless. It is only a layer two which is all you would need. You set portions of the switch ports to different VLANs (one Hognet, one Artnet, one Hippo) and then a pair of ports (one for backup) to be a trunk port on both switches which will carry all 3 like a pipeline. You can do up to 64 individual VLAN's on it, which is way more ports then you have. Email me if you have more questions about it. I wouldn't recommend any netgear switches. The fans seize up and then they won't replace them. The procurves have next day advanced replacement for the period you own the switch (lifetime). It is also pretty cost effective. And on a side note, you may have to set the Artnet ports to be locked at 10mbit or 100 mbit as some devices don't like 1gig. Most will auto sense to the proper setting.

Ryan
Children
No Data
Related