Putting mulitple network protocals through the same switch..

I am planning a show using a Full Boar and 2 Hippo's...

I will have a Critter FOH to remotely manage the full size Hippo (stage or HD.. have not decided yet) over Hippo-Net. Right next to the FB too...

Then I will have the FB outputting Hog-Net to DPs in the stage area... and furthermore Art-Net to the Full size Hippo to control it off DMX. (The critter is purely to monitor the full size Hippo so I can then perform certain remote tasks such as on/off)

My question is... can I (or is it advisable not to) run Hog-Net, Hippo-Net and Art-Net all through the same switch FOH to save on cabling and switches...

I did PM Eric about this... but he suggested that I put it here so all of the users can have the benefit of his knowledge (and others).

So... has anybody had any good or bad experiences doing this or something similar?

Thanks,
Parents
  • This thread has a lot of explanation about the problem with mixing Art-Net and Hog-Net on the same wire.
    forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=7105

I've never used Hippo-Net, so I can't tell you how it uses the network. If most of its communication is unicast traffic, then it should be safe to share the network. If it's broadcast, then you'll be safest to keep it isolated. If it's multicast, then the ideal is to have a switch that supports IGMP snooping. But since it sounds like you'll be on an relatively small All-Gigabit network, you can probably get away without IGMP.

If you're only using Art-Net to control media servers, then you can setup the Hog to Unicast Art-Net to them, and avoid the broadcast problem alltogether.

The reason I recommend multiple switches is that it's easy to keep track of. Use one swith with all red wires for Art-Net, and another with all blue wires for Hog-Net (or pick your own color coding). Then you know what traffic is what at a glance.

But if you have extra time, and a managed switch, you can use VLANs to segment traffic on a single switch.
  • This thread has a lot of explanation about the problem with mixing Art-Net and Hog-Net on the same wire.
    forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=7105

I've never used Hippo-Net, so I can't tell you how it uses the network. If most of its communication is unicast traffic, then it should be safe to share the network. If it's broadcast, then you'll be safest to keep it isolated. If it's multicast, then the ideal is to have a switch that supports IGMP snooping. But since it sounds like you'll be on an relatively small All-Gigabit network, you can probably get away without IGMP.

If you're only using Art-Net to control media servers, then you can setup the Hog to Unicast Art-Net to them, and avoid the broadcast problem alltogether.

The reason I recommend multiple switches is that it's easy to keep track of. Use one swith with all red wires for Art-Net, and another with all blue wires for Hog-Net (or pick your own color coding). Then you know what traffic is what at a glance.

But if you have extra time, and a managed switch, you can use VLANs to segment traffic on a single switch.
Children
No Data
Related