Putting mulitple network protocals through the same switch..

I am planning a show using a Full Boar and 2 Hippo's...

I will have a Critter FOH to remotely manage the full size Hippo (stage or HD.. have not decided yet) over Hippo-Net. Right next to the FB too...

Then I will have the FB outputting Hog-Net to DPs in the stage area... and furthermore Art-Net to the Full size Hippo to control it off DMX. (The critter is purely to monitor the full size Hippo so I can then perform certain remote tasks such as on/off)

My question is... can I (or is it advisable not to) run Hog-Net, Hippo-Net and Art-Net all through the same switch FOH to save on cabling and switches...

I did PM Eric about this... but he suggested that I put it here so all of the users can have the benefit of his knowledge (and others).

So... has anybody had any good or bad experiences doing this or something similar?

Thanks,
Parents
  • > The building IT manager assigned me my own VPN,

Was it a VPN or a VLAN?

> gave me a set of IP's for the console and DP, and
    > the gateway IP's for the switches each was attached to

You'll need to find out if the building's infrastructure switches are really doing switching (aka "Layer 2 switching"), or if they're acting as Routers ("Layer 3 Switching"). If you need a gateway IP, there's a good possibility that they are Routing. What is the IP address, Netmask, and Gateway for each device that the IT manager gave you? That may give us some information

Hog-Net communication makes heavy use of multicast. It can be used in a routed network (Layer 3 network), but multicast routing is notoriously difficult to setup. Unless you have a full-time networking professional on staff who understands "PIM Sparse Mode" style routing, I'd suggest you find a simpler solution.

If it's a purely switched network (Layer 2), you'll need to examine the VLAN setup to make sure you have both the console and DP8000 in the same broadcast domain. Also make sure that Broadcast Control and Multicast Control are turned off. These go by many names including "Storm Control", "Rate Limiting" and "Flood Control".

Find out if the building has spare fibers between wiring closets. It's typical to install a 6 or 12 pair fiber even if you only need one pair. It may be simpler in the long run to setup a separate network for your lighting control.

Can you post more details about the application? It may help others work out a solution.
  • > The building IT manager assigned me my own VPN,

Was it a VPN or a VLAN?

> gave me a set of IP's for the console and DP, and
    > the gateway IP's for the switches each was attached to

You'll need to find out if the building's infrastructure switches are really doing switching (aka "Layer 2 switching"), or if they're acting as Routers ("Layer 3 Switching"). If you need a gateway IP, there's a good possibility that they are Routing. What is the IP address, Netmask, and Gateway for each device that the IT manager gave you? That may give us some information

Hog-Net communication makes heavy use of multicast. It can be used in a routed network (Layer 3 network), but multicast routing is notoriously difficult to setup. Unless you have a full-time networking professional on staff who understands "PIM Sparse Mode" style routing, I'd suggest you find a simpler solution.

If it's a purely switched network (Layer 2), you'll need to examine the VLAN setup to make sure you have both the console and DP8000 in the same broadcast domain. Also make sure that Broadcast Control and Multicast Control are turned off. These go by many names including "Storm Control", "Rate Limiting" and "Flood Control".

Find out if the building has spare fibers between wiring closets. It's typical to install a 6 or 12 pair fiber even if you only need one pair. It may be simpler in the long run to setup a separate network for your lighting control.

Can you post more details about the application? It may help others work out a solution.
Children
No Data
Related