Putting mulitple network protocals through the same switch..

I am planning a show using a Full Boar and 2 Hippo's...

I will have a Critter FOH to remotely manage the full size Hippo (stage or HD.. have not decided yet) over Hippo-Net. Right next to the FB too...

Then I will have the FB outputting Hog-Net to DPs in the stage area... and furthermore Art-Net to the Full size Hippo to control it off DMX. (The critter is purely to monitor the full size Hippo so I can then perform certain remote tasks such as on/off)

My question is... can I (or is it advisable not to) run Hog-Net, Hippo-Net and Art-Net all through the same switch FOH to save on cabling and switches...

I did PM Eric about this... but he suggested that I put it here so all of the users can have the benefit of his knowledge (and others).

So... has anybody had any good or bad experiences doing this or something similar?

Thanks,
Parents
  • [QUOTE=Abbe RPM Digital Lighting;48938]I would like to stress the fact that CAT5 wire will not carry GB ethernet, it needs to be CAT5E or CAT6.

IEEE 802.3ab (The standard that defines gigabit ethernet) is designed to run over Category 5 cable. Compatibility with existing cat5 infrastructure was an important design criteria for the standard.

standards.ieee.org/announcements/802.3ab.html

There are many reasons you may have had trouble with it, it can work. In the early days of Cat5, many installers didn't understand what it takes to properly install high speed cabling. They thought you could treat it like telephone wire. This led to many facilities with wiring that uses cat5 cable, but doesn't meed cat5 requirements.
  • [QUOTE=Abbe RPM Digital Lighting;48938]I would like to stress the fact that CAT5 wire will not carry GB ethernet, it needs to be CAT5E or CAT6.

IEEE 802.3ab (The standard that defines gigabit ethernet) is designed to run over Category 5 cable. Compatibility with existing cat5 infrastructure was an important design criteria for the standard.

standards.ieee.org/announcements/802.3ab.html

There are many reasons you may have had trouble with it, it can work. In the early days of Cat5, many installers didn't understand what it takes to properly install high speed cabling. They thought you could treat it like telephone wire. This led to many facilities with wiring that uses cat5 cable, but doesn't meed cat5 requirements.
Children
No Data
Related