Lights Flicker Randomly HELP ASAP

I have some Chauvet Color tubes and a color controller2.0 LED-chva

the tubes only will flicker randomly and if its in a chase it will reset the chase. Its not a cable issue because I tried it at the head of the chain. Also the controller was swapped out just incase it was defective. I need help as soon as possible because its for a church and its very distracting. Please help me as soon as possible. would really appreciate it. Ive tried everything I know so I would take whatever I can get. THanks
Parents
  • Hey guys

I don't know if the problem was solved. The software I used before had the same issue with these fixtures. I will post the solution from that forum. It may or may not be of help.

Link to forum

QUICK FIX:
    Try adding a fixture at the upper DMX address range (i.e. channel 512).
    This can either be done by assigning one of your fixtures to include that channel, or you can assign a fixture such as the "Generic->Console 1" to ch.512. You do not need an actual fixture, you just need to make the X1 software THINK that it has a fixture at the upper address.

BRIEF REASON:
    The flickering is usually caused because, on occasion, some fixture manufacturers (typically some lower-end and low cost imports) misinterpret the DMX communication specification.
    My understanding is that the spec does not require the control unit to send out all 512 channels of information if no units are assigned to the higher addresses. This allows the X1 software to 'refresh' the DMX info at a higher rate (assuming only low address fixtures), thus providing a faster, more responsive lighting rig. Unfortunately, it can cause the behavior you describe if the fixture can't process the data at the speeds the X1 can deliver.

QUICK EXPERIMENT:
    You should be able to see this behavior exibited in the 'flicker' by assigning a Colorstrip to the lower DMX address and bring them up so the flickering is apparent.
    Then add the "Console 1" fixture to the Device Manager at different DMX addresses. For example, insert it at ch.50, then move it to ch.100, then move it to ch.150, etc., up to 512 (ish).
    You should see the flickering slow, then stop, the higher the DMX address you assign to the Console 1 .

If you're still have problems, let me know and we'll see what else we can come up with.

Craig Spredeman
    ISC User Evangelist
    craig@innovateshowcontrols.com
  • Hey guys

I don't know if the problem was solved. The software I used before had the same issue with these fixtures. I will post the solution from that forum. It may or may not be of help.

Link to forum

QUICK FIX:
    Try adding a fixture at the upper DMX address range (i.e. channel 512).
    This can either be done by assigning one of your fixtures to include that channel, or you can assign a fixture such as the "Generic->Console 1" to ch.512. You do not need an actual fixture, you just need to make the X1 software THINK that it has a fixture at the upper address.

BRIEF REASON:
    The flickering is usually caused because, on occasion, some fixture manufacturers (typically some lower-end and low cost imports) misinterpret the DMX communication specification.
    My understanding is that the spec does not require the control unit to send out all 512 channels of information if no units are assigned to the higher addresses. This allows the X1 software to 'refresh' the DMX info at a higher rate (assuming only low address fixtures), thus providing a faster, more responsive lighting rig. Unfortunately, it can cause the behavior you describe if the fixture can't process the data at the speeds the X1 can deliver.

QUICK EXPERIMENT:
    You should be able to see this behavior exibited in the 'flicker' by assigning a Colorstrip to the lower DMX address and bring them up so the flickering is apparent.
    Then add the "Console 1" fixture to the Device Manager at different DMX addresses. For example, insert it at ch.50, then move it to ch.100, then move it to ch.150, etc., up to 512 (ish).
    You should see the flickering slow, then stop, the higher the DMX address you assign to the Console 1 .

If you're still have problems, let me know and we'll see what else we can come up with.

Craig Spredeman
    ISC User Evangelist
    craig@innovateshowcontrols.com
Children
No Data
Related