Solid State HD - Hog3 ?

Will there be any opportunity to upgrade the product line with Solid State HD in near future ??

I am interrested to know how much I have the option to upgrade the different versions.

I've heard rumors about a huge improvement in the next software update?? Is this right and is there anyone who can tell somthing about the improvements and new features?

J:hogsign:
Parents
  • SSDs are great for some things, but they're not the cure-all many people expect them to be. We've heard of several people installing SSDs in their consoles with mixed results.

Personally, I've tested SSD's in both the HogIII and the RHFB. They worked, but didn't give a significant performance increase, and in a few cases there was a slight performance decrease.

Why wasn't there a big performance increase? The Hog stores it's shows as thousands of little tiny files, and dealing with small files is where SSDs do the worst. If you're curious, look at what Intel has written on "Write Amplification".

The other factor is that OS's have gotten really good at dealing with rotating media. When you're loading a show, VFS read-ahead masks most of the rotational latency you'd expect to get from reading lots of small files.

I suspect that SLC based flash drives would do better (everything I tested was MLC), but SLC is *far* more expensive.
  • SSDs are great for some things, but they're not the cure-all many people expect them to be. We've heard of several people installing SSDs in their consoles with mixed results.

Personally, I've tested SSD's in both the HogIII and the RHFB. They worked, but didn't give a significant performance increase, and in a few cases there was a slight performance decrease.

Why wasn't there a big performance increase? The Hog stores it's shows as thousands of little tiny files, and dealing with small files is where SSDs do the worst. If you're curious, look at what Intel has written on "Write Amplification".

The other factor is that OS's have gotten really good at dealing with rotating media. When you're loading a show, VFS read-ahead masks most of the rotational latency you'd expect to get from reading lots of small files.

I suspect that SLC based flash drives would do better (everything I tested was MLC), but SLC is *far* more expensive.
Children
No Data
Related