ACN, ETCNet, Artnet, Oh my.

So I've tried searching the forum for ACN, and it won't work...as it's only three letters. So I'll just post a new topic.

This is what I've gathered and believe to be true...I need some confirmations...please :)

-Wholehog OS does output Artnet with the use of a DP8000.

-Wholehog OS does output Artnet from a PC (HogPC) without the use of a DP8000, or Widgets. (Hmm, so what stops the general public from purchasing a cheap artnet node in lieu of a more expensive HogPC Widget?) Or then again...does it not?

-Wholehog OS does NOT output ACN (Advanced Control Network).

-^^Therefore Wholehog OS is not compatible with an ETC Net3 control network without the use of networked DMX Input Gateways.

-Wholehog OS does NOT output ETC Net2.

-Therefore...Wholehog OS is incompatible in every regard at the current moment with an ETC Net2 or Net3 control network...without using DMX Input Gateways.

Anyone, anyone? I just need to make sure the research I've done is correct...

Parents
  • I was under the impression that sACN and Net3 were the same protocol...

ETC refers to Net3 as a "superset" of ACN:

Net3 is ETC's implementation of a superset of standard ACN interoperability profiles (the ‘rules’ for how different devices will work together) and additional communication between devices that is not yet specified or standardized. ETC's stance is that communication which falls outside of current interoperability profiles will be documented for public use.

From Live Design:

BSR E1.31 is a simple protocol that offers functionality comparable to existing DMX512 over Ethernet protocols, but with the advantages of compatibility with ANSI E1.17-2006 and easy implementation on managed networks. Device Management Protocol over Session Data Transport, borrowed from the ANSI E1.17 protocol suite, provides a mechanism for streaming DMX-type data intermixed with random access data and high-speed feedback in a flexible and scalable way.

So, sACN would really be a subset of ACN, which might make it (in ETC's view) a sub-subset of Net3.
  • I was under the impression that sACN and Net3 were the same protocol...

ETC refers to Net3 as a "superset" of ACN:

Net3 is ETC's implementation of a superset of standard ACN interoperability profiles (the ‘rules’ for how different devices will work together) and additional communication between devices that is not yet specified or standardized. ETC's stance is that communication which falls outside of current interoperability profiles will be documented for public use.

From Live Design:

BSR E1.31 is a simple protocol that offers functionality comparable to existing DMX512 over Ethernet protocols, but with the advantages of compatibility with ANSI E1.17-2006 and easy implementation on managed networks. Device Management Protocol over Session Data Transport, borrowed from the ANSI E1.17 protocol suite, provides a mechanism for streaming DMX-type data intermixed with random access data and high-speed feedback in a flexible and scalable way.

So, sACN would really be a subset of ACN, which might make it (in ETC's view) a sub-subset of Net3.
Children
No Data
Related