ACN, ETCNet, Artnet, Oh my.

So I've tried searching the forum for ACN, and it won't work...as it's only three letters. So I'll just post a new topic.

This is what I've gathered and believe to be true...I need some confirmations...please :)

-Wholehog OS does output Artnet with the use of a DP8000.

-Wholehog OS does output Artnet from a PC (HogPC) without the use of a DP8000, or Widgets. (Hmm, so what stops the general public from purchasing a cheap artnet node in lieu of a more expensive HogPC Widget?) Or then again...does it not?

-Wholehog OS does NOT output ACN (Advanced Control Network).

-^^Therefore Wholehog OS is not compatible with an ETC Net3 control network without the use of networked DMX Input Gateways.

-Wholehog OS does NOT output ETC Net2.

-Therefore...Wholehog OS is incompatible in every regard at the current moment with an ETC Net2 or Net3 control network...without using DMX Input Gateways.

Anyone, anyone? I just need to make sure the research I've done is correct...

Parents
  • As of software version 3.1.0 and newer, the Hog supports E1.31 (sometimes called sACN). Consoles that can output Art-Net can also output E1.31. I fact, you can output DMX, Art-Net, and E1.31 simultaneously (up to 12 universes on an RHFB and 16 on a DP8000).

Functionally, E1.31 is very similar to Art-Net. It encapsulates DMX data and transports it over an IP network. The major technical advantage of E1.31 is that it supports multicast transmission which is more efficient in terms of network bandwidth for large systems. (provided your switches support IGMP snooping). It also adds a priority field which allows a limited degree of "Take Control" functionality in a multi-controller environment.

In one sense, E1.31 is ACN. ACN is designed to carry arbitrary types of data, anything from light cues to audio data. E1.31 basically uses ACN to carry DMX data. It's not ACN in its full glory, but it is a very real, and useful.

Net3 (AKA ETCnet3) is ETC's Suite of network protocols. It includes many components, but one of those components is transporting DMX. The good news is that Net3 uses E1.31 to transport DMX. The bad news is that the current Net3 gateway software uses an older (draft) version of E1.31 standard as indicated in the following document:

www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/relnotes/Net3_2_4Port_Gateway_v2.0.0-v4.0.5_RelNote.pdf

[INDENT]"The software is compatible with all Net3 products powered by ACN that meet or exceed ... the V0.20 draft specification of BSR E1.31 Streaming ACN (sACN)."
    [/INDENT]

The Hog supports the final released version of ANSI E1.31 - 2009.

I'm sure the Net3 gateway software will be updated to support the release version in the near future. ETC was instrumental in developing the E1.31 standard, and their draft implementation helped shape the protocol.
  • As of software version 3.1.0 and newer, the Hog supports E1.31 (sometimes called sACN). Consoles that can output Art-Net can also output E1.31. I fact, you can output DMX, Art-Net, and E1.31 simultaneously (up to 12 universes on an RHFB and 16 on a DP8000).

Functionally, E1.31 is very similar to Art-Net. It encapsulates DMX data and transports it over an IP network. The major technical advantage of E1.31 is that it supports multicast transmission which is more efficient in terms of network bandwidth for large systems. (provided your switches support IGMP snooping). It also adds a priority field which allows a limited degree of "Take Control" functionality in a multi-controller environment.

In one sense, E1.31 is ACN. ACN is designed to carry arbitrary types of data, anything from light cues to audio data. E1.31 basically uses ACN to carry DMX data. It's not ACN in its full glory, but it is a very real, and useful.

Net3 (AKA ETCnet3) is ETC's Suite of network protocols. It includes many components, but one of those components is transporting DMX. The good news is that Net3 uses E1.31 to transport DMX. The bad news is that the current Net3 gateway software uses an older (draft) version of E1.31 standard as indicated in the following document:

www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/relnotes/Net3_2_4Port_Gateway_v2.0.0-v4.0.5_RelNote.pdf

[INDENT]"The software is compatible with all Net3 products powered by ACN that meet or exceed ... the V0.20 draft specification of BSR E1.31 Streaming ACN (sACN)."
    [/INDENT]

The Hog supports the final released version of ANSI E1.31 - 2009.

I'm sure the Net3 gateway software will be updated to support the release version in the near future. ETC was instrumental in developing the E1.31 standard, and their draft implementation helped shape the protocol.
Children
No Data
Related