Hog IPC and 3PC Questions - Live Gig

Hi all,

I have been asked to do a live gig at a large venue in Melbourne Australia. I am looking at hiring a Hog IPC, 6 Robe 575 spots' and 2-4 Robe 575 wash's. I am new to the Hog systems, I have downloaded the 3PC software and had a brief play with it and it looks great. I am going to under take some training with my intended set-up closer to the gig date. Until then I have a few questions regarding the Hog IPC and 3PC software.

[LIST=1]
I intend to run the 3PC software on a laptop connected to a long range wireless network in the venue. Can I use the 3PC software to remotely control all of the IPC's functions or only a few limited functions? It would be great if I could take my laptop down on stage and control the lights.
How easy is the IPC to set-up, use and program?
If I create a show on the laptop and do some pre-programming can I transfer this show to the IPC? How easy is it to do this?
If I create a show with fixtures patched and addressed differently can I change the patching and fixtures with out loosing any of my programming and settings?
Any recommendations or suggestion you would make? (lights, controller, tips, theories, ...)

Thanks,
Parents
  • [QUOTE=Meh 626;44624]
    The colour and beam pallets/directory are self explanatory as the colous and gobos are assigned to a number. But the position directory is empty besides one entry which is for "open white". My question is do I have to assign a position to a directory listing or does each listing (1 - 32768) already have a position assigned?

Hi,

You have to record your own position palettes. Auto palettes works fine for slotted parameters such as a colour wheel or a gobo wheel as the console knows how many slots each one has and what is in them. But position can be anything, so the console can't make palettes for it as position depends on venue, fixture placement, stage etc.

[QUOTE=Meh 626;44624]
    2. Say I want to make a light swing back and forth (0° - 180°) do I assign 0° to a entry (say #5) an then assign 180° to another entry (#6)? Then somehow do I program the light to start @ position #5 and then move to position #6 over a period of ~3 seconds and repeat?

Unfortunately, I don’t think you can enter two values for an effect and make it swing between the two... yet. However there are two ways you could do this.

1) A chase. A cuelist with two cues set with a specific fade time and BPM. However this would be a little hard to offset the fixtures using this method.

2) An effect. You could use the Sine Wave Table to fade the pan between 0 and 180 over a period of seconds (rate). Make sure you set 0 as the base value for the fixture. You can then fade the size up until the fixture is fading between 0 and 180. Offsets can then be assigned if using multiple fixtures so they are not all panning the same direction at the same time. If you wanted the fixture to jump straight from 0 to 180 and not fade you could use the Step Table, this way the fixture will jump from 0 to 180 in the fastest time it can physically manage.

I hope this answers your question...

Best Regards,
  • [QUOTE=Meh 626;44624]
    The colour and beam pallets/directory are self explanatory as the colous and gobos are assigned to a number. But the position directory is empty besides one entry which is for "open white". My question is do I have to assign a position to a directory listing or does each listing (1 - 32768) already have a position assigned?

Hi,

You have to record your own position palettes. Auto palettes works fine for slotted parameters such as a colour wheel or a gobo wheel as the console knows how many slots each one has and what is in them. But position can be anything, so the console can't make palettes for it as position depends on venue, fixture placement, stage etc.

[QUOTE=Meh 626;44624]
    2. Say I want to make a light swing back and forth (0° - 180°) do I assign 0° to a entry (say #5) an then assign 180° to another entry (#6)? Then somehow do I program the light to start @ position #5 and then move to position #6 over a period of ~3 seconds and repeat?

Unfortunately, I don’t think you can enter two values for an effect and make it swing between the two... yet. However there are two ways you could do this.

1) A chase. A cuelist with two cues set with a specific fade time and BPM. However this would be a little hard to offset the fixtures using this method.

2) An effect. You could use the Sine Wave Table to fade the pan between 0 and 180 over a period of seconds (rate). Make sure you set 0 as the base value for the fixture. You can then fade the size up until the fixture is fading between 0 and 180. Offsets can then be assigned if using multiple fixtures so they are not all panning the same direction at the same time. If you wanted the fixture to jump straight from 0 to 180 and not fade you could use the Step Table, this way the fixture will jump from 0 to 180 in the fastest time it can physically manage.

I hope this answers your question...

Best Regards,
Children
No Data
Related