UPS Backup supply

Lately, I've been seeing more and more guys running a UPS on the consoles. Any specific reason? Other then maybe surge protection. I mean if Power drops out then the rig dies aswell. Or is this more incase FOH power goes out and the show can continue?

I think I saw on the forum that the IPC had a built in Battery Backup?? Was i just dreaming or is this a true fact indeed.

Just trying to catch up as We have just ordered out first "Real" Console, The IPC and it will be here this week. Everything else we have run has always been laptop based.

Kurtis
Parents
  • [QUOTE=tfafighter;45260]Since we are on the topic of UPS.... When I power up my UPS it has that 7 second or so time when it's starting up(the LED flashes green and finally goes solid green and you here a click). During that time i get a bad buzzing sound that comes from inside my Hog(Full Size Hog 3). It almost sounds like it's over volting the power supply. I thought it was my UPS so I thru it away and bought a new one and the new one does the same thing.
    Here's the model from APC:
    www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=21

It's a scary sound so most of the time i unplug the console when powering up the UPS. Has anyone else ever heard this? Do you think it's bad for the console?

This is actually a self test of the UPS itself, to make sure the battery, and inverter are functional. This is completely normal. It is simple a load test simulating a full load on battery. The unit will make the same sound if it is powered on with a full load, and the utility power goes out (basically the ups at full load on an inverter, and battery).

I am all for a UPS, the unit is a PC OS, so if you lose instant power, just think what happens to the hard drive. Make sure it has redundant power, to ensure the risk of a "dirty shutdown"
  • [QUOTE=tfafighter;45260]Since we are on the topic of UPS.... When I power up my UPS it has that 7 second or so time when it's starting up(the LED flashes green and finally goes solid green and you here a click). During that time i get a bad buzzing sound that comes from inside my Hog(Full Size Hog 3). It almost sounds like it's over volting the power supply. I thought it was my UPS so I thru it away and bought a new one and the new one does the same thing.
    Here's the model from APC:
    www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=21

It's a scary sound so most of the time i unplug the console when powering up the UPS. Has anyone else ever heard this? Do you think it's bad for the console?

This is actually a self test of the UPS itself, to make sure the battery, and inverter are functional. This is completely normal. It is simple a load test simulating a full load on battery. The unit will make the same sound if it is powered on with a full load, and the utility power goes out (basically the ups at full load on an inverter, and battery).

I am all for a UPS, the unit is a PC OS, so if you lose instant power, just think what happens to the hard drive. Make sure it has redundant power, to ensure the risk of a "dirty shutdown"
Children
No Data
Related