What do you use the Wholehog systems for?

Hi,

I am interested in what members of this forum use the Wholehog systems for (eg. live music, church services, theatre, ect)?

Myself? I will be using Wholehog systems (19th March to be exact and in the future) for live music events.

Thanks,
Parents
  • [QUOTE=Meh 626;45547]Wow, some amazing applications for the Wholehog system. I'm very intrigued by the use in Motion Pictures, barnes could you please tell me more?

Basically, lighting control in movies and TV have always followed the lead of Live event lighting. For years, lighting systems in the motion picture business have been using the ETC Expression consoles. Just about every major studio and rental house in Hollywood owns them...and why not? For the most part, it gets the job done. They have been a work horse in the business. Back in the early nineties, if there was a set that required more dimmers than the Expression could handle, or maybe there were movers to control, one of two things would happen. Either an outside lighting company would come in to handle it, or the programmer of the show would request something like a Wholehog 2. After a while of using the hog 2 on special occasions, I realized that the hog doesn't have to be just for special circumstances. Why can't I use it for the whole show? So when the Wholehog 3 came out, I took a huge step into what, I thought, would be the future. Turns out I was right. Now there are about a dozen programmers in my local that own a hog 3 system. some of them own more than one. Our local is giving classes on the console too.
    Most major motion pictures use large dimming systems for their stage work....sometimes thousands, and many of these movies are using moving lights too. On Iron Man 2 we used about a thousand movers...280 on one set. We also used multiple media servers and about 800 or so versatubes. The more jobs we use this stuff in, the more the cinematographers start to see its potential, and that means more work for us. Cinematographers love to outdo the last show. They are always looking for new high tech ways to light.
  • [QUOTE=Meh 626;45547]Wow, some amazing applications for the Wholehog system. I'm very intrigued by the use in Motion Pictures, barnes could you please tell me more?

Basically, lighting control in movies and TV have always followed the lead of Live event lighting. For years, lighting systems in the motion picture business have been using the ETC Expression consoles. Just about every major studio and rental house in Hollywood owns them...and why not? For the most part, it gets the job done. They have been a work horse in the business. Back in the early nineties, if there was a set that required more dimmers than the Expression could handle, or maybe there were movers to control, one of two things would happen. Either an outside lighting company would come in to handle it, or the programmer of the show would request something like a Wholehog 2. After a while of using the hog 2 on special occasions, I realized that the hog doesn't have to be just for special circumstances. Why can't I use it for the whole show? So when the Wholehog 3 came out, I took a huge step into what, I thought, would be the future. Turns out I was right. Now there are about a dozen programmers in my local that own a hog 3 system. some of them own more than one. Our local is giving classes on the console too.
    Most major motion pictures use large dimming systems for their stage work....sometimes thousands, and many of these movies are using moving lights too. On Iron Man 2 we used about a thousand movers...280 on one set. We also used multiple media servers and about 800 or so versatubes. The more jobs we use this stuff in, the more the cinematographers start to see its potential, and that means more work for us. Cinematographers love to outdo the last show. They are always looking for new high tech ways to light.
Children
No Data
Related