Midi Timecode

I am having trouble figuring out how to get midi timecode working to run a show.

On the Road Hog, I will be using the M Audio Uno USB MIDI adapter.
That part seems pretty straight-forward, the only part i'm having trouble with is figuring out a source for the timecode.

Up to now on my old lighting system, I have played an mp3 file and the software used that timecode to trigger the cues in the cuelist.

How will I get timecode to the Road Hog from playing an mp3 file?

I'm assuming I will need a second USB MIDI adapter for a laptop and I will run the audio files from that, but how will I get the timecode generated and sent from the laptop to the Road Hog?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your help!
Parents
  • You will probably need a Timecode to Midi converter.

I have used the JL Cooper PPS2 for things like this. It takes the TC side of the MP3 and converts it to MTC which would then plug into the RH Midi adaptor.

www.jlcooper.com/pages/pps2.html

NOTE: The PPS-2 must have a true TC stop in order to change the TC time. For instance, you have a track running from 00:00:59.01 to 00:04:00 and then the next frame is something else like 01:00:00.00....the PPS-2 would contrinue from the 00:00:04.00 mark unless there is a distinct stop in Time Code.
  • You will probably need a Timecode to Midi converter.

I have used the JL Cooper PPS2 for things like this. It takes the TC side of the MP3 and converts it to MTC which would then plug into the RH Midi adaptor.

www.jlcooper.com/pages/pps2.html

NOTE: The PPS-2 must have a true TC stop in order to change the TC time. For instance, you have a track running from 00:00:59.01 to 00:04:00 and then the next frame is something else like 01:00:00.00....the PPS-2 would contrinue from the 00:00:04.00 mark unless there is a distinct stop in Time Code.
Children
No Data
Related