VU Meter

I did some lighting for a hip hop show last week and had the idea of getting my source 4 par lights to become a vu meter for the bass frequencies. I was thinking I need to go through MIDI to get this effect to work. Any suggestions?
Parents
  • You can get really complicated and figure out a way to program an Arduino to listen for specific frequency peaks and have it send a MSC command to trigger a cue on the hog. The problem with this is you can't really get a good intensity scale that follows the music. Hog3 only understands MSC cue triggers, so you'd need to make a cuelist with several cues that builds the 'vu meter' and have the Arduino rapidly trigger the cues to make it look like the lights are reacting to the music. I think you'll probably run into processing delay issues and end up being behind the beat.
    Your best bet is not to use hog for this kind of application. I have used E:Cue before for this kind of thing and it has an effects engine that does respond to audio input quite nicely.
  • You can get really complicated and figure out a way to program an Arduino to listen for specific frequency peaks and have it send a MSC command to trigger a cue on the hog. The problem with this is you can't really get a good intensity scale that follows the music. Hog3 only understands MSC cue triggers, so you'd need to make a cuelist with several cues that builds the 'vu meter' and have the Arduino rapidly trigger the cues to make it look like the lights are reacting to the music. I think you'll probably run into processing delay issues and end up being behind the beat.
    Your best bet is not to use hog for this kind of application. I have used E:Cue before for this kind of thing and it has an effects engine that does respond to audio input quite nicely.
Children
No Data
Related