DP8000 Hog-Net adapter temp

The temperature is over 95 degrees Celsius... is it OK?
Sounds kind of high for me (the room ambient is about 22 degrees Celsius)
  • Eric,

Is there any final thoughts about this? What is there safe range for temp. Is there any way to make things run cooler?
    I also talked about this with another Hog user friend and he had a DP which had it's temp between 60-70 degrees...I was wondering why he had so low temp. The setup was almost identical, only the switch was different (a basic 5 port switch).

Also, do you have any idea why DP starts booting itself sometimes when it's idle? (no server running) I have had this happening two times.
  • I've been looking at this a lot, and I believe the reading is a false value. It's proportional to the temperature, but not calibrated against any real number.

The temp sensor was designed using information provided by Intel in a preliminary version of the datasheet. When I went back to verify the circuitry, I found they've totally removed any reference to the thermal sensor from the datasheet. They don't even admit that it has a thermal sensor anymore.

Even when it's reading a very high number, I can comfortably lay my finger on the chip. If that were a real reading, my finger should be burned.

As for differences between units, I suspect it has to do with whether you're plugging it into a 100 megabit, or gigabit switch. There's also been a push for power-saving versions of ethernet. If your switch supports this feature it can also affect the reading.
  • Thanks Eric. I can stop worrying that my DP will fry at some point.
Related