Android VS Ipods

Hey

So as most of us have been looking very forward to the ipod/ipad app from hog. my question is are there any plans to release an android app. There are so many android tablets is all price ranges coming onto the market. I can understand the pain it will be with the large variety. but is it even a plan in the works? I personally prefer android over the apple system any day.

Any coments?
Parents
  • I disagree - violently! The programming standards, interface libraries, graphics interfaces, are all *THE SAME* on all deployments of a given platform - take my example of Windows on Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. earlier. The compatibility testing lies with the mfg. of *THE DEVICE* and not the application programmer - on platforms such at this, if the platform meets the standard, and the software is written to the platform standard, it will work . . . . and apparently, in lumens case, Garmin did not feel that it was important to bother to verify their deployment to be within standard . . . and this is a problem with the phone market. They primarily market to the kiddies who want the latest toys, and testing, stability, and QC seem to go out the window in favor of fast sales and quick $$$, quite the opposite of what we expect in lighting gear . . .

That, and what sometimes happens, is that programmers get lazy and write to a fixed screen resolution, and considering that both PCs as well as Android devices have variable screen sizes, this is what typically trips an application from running. And if I recall, I think it was Hog2PC that may have had the same issue on low res screens . . . . I know something did in the lighting world, it just wouldn't start on too low a res screen . . . and that is not a platform issue, that is simply lazy programming . . . .

And in terms of volume, I suggest you look again . . .the last time I looked, Android units deployed blew by Apple over a year ago, never to look back . . . .

Oh, and lastly, by definition, since Android in a Linux based platform, subject to GPL, they *CANNOT* legally close the entire platform, and still use those components. They may hold back the Android-centric components (which would have the same net result) but not the overall platform.

And myself, I prefer the enterprise-class stability of Linux under Android than anything that Apple can dream up . . . . not to mention the huge difference in the number of folks working on the Linux platform compared to Apple - probably somewhere near 100x, but yes, that is a guess . . . (And yes, Linux *IS* in the enterprise in a large way - both as a server OS as well as inside some of the biggest, most stable gear out there . . . . and I can't think of a single enterprise class device using anything from Apple - they cater to the end user . . . ).

If you like you Apple device, great - that's why there are choices. I find the Apple stuff so dumbed down it makes my ears want to bleed . . . Staples has the "Easy" button . . . Apple should have the "Duh" button . . . . .

Just my $.02 . . .

- Tim
  • I disagree - violently! The programming standards, interface libraries, graphics interfaces, are all *THE SAME* on all deployments of a given platform - take my example of Windows on Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. earlier. The compatibility testing lies with the mfg. of *THE DEVICE* and not the application programmer - on platforms such at this, if the platform meets the standard, and the software is written to the platform standard, it will work . . . . and apparently, in lumens case, Garmin did not feel that it was important to bother to verify their deployment to be within standard . . . and this is a problem with the phone market. They primarily market to the kiddies who want the latest toys, and testing, stability, and QC seem to go out the window in favor of fast sales and quick $$$, quite the opposite of what we expect in lighting gear . . .

That, and what sometimes happens, is that programmers get lazy and write to a fixed screen resolution, and considering that both PCs as well as Android devices have variable screen sizes, this is what typically trips an application from running. And if I recall, I think it was Hog2PC that may have had the same issue on low res screens . . . . I know something did in the lighting world, it just wouldn't start on too low a res screen . . . and that is not a platform issue, that is simply lazy programming . . . .

And in terms of volume, I suggest you look again . . .the last time I looked, Android units deployed blew by Apple over a year ago, never to look back . . . .

Oh, and lastly, by definition, since Android in a Linux based platform, subject to GPL, they *CANNOT* legally close the entire platform, and still use those components. They may hold back the Android-centric components (which would have the same net result) but not the overall platform.

And myself, I prefer the enterprise-class stability of Linux under Android than anything that Apple can dream up . . . . not to mention the huge difference in the number of folks working on the Linux platform compared to Apple - probably somewhere near 100x, but yes, that is a guess . . . (And yes, Linux *IS* in the enterprise in a large way - both as a server OS as well as inside some of the biggest, most stable gear out there . . . . and I can't think of a single enterprise class device using anything from Apple - they cater to the end user . . . ).

If you like you Apple device, great - that's why there are choices. I find the Apple stuff so dumbed down it makes my ears want to bleed . . . Staples has the "Easy" button . . . Apple should have the "Duh" button . . . . .

Just my $.02 . . .

- Tim
Children
No Data
Related