Android VS Ipods

Hey

So as most of us have been looking very forward to the ipod/ipad app from hog. my question is are there any plans to release an android app. There are so many android tablets is all price ranges coming onto the market. I can understand the pain it will be with the large variety. but is it even a plan in the works? I personally prefer android over the apple system any day.

Any coments?
Parents
  • Joshua -

I can't dispute that the test matrix, if nothing else, is easier on a single platform, but then again, that tends to inspire lazy programming, and bad software as well . . . And the iPhone and iPad are radically different resolutions as well, so who is to say that Joe Blow app designer won't botch it there either? Keep in mind that most apps on both platforms are not written by the underlying OS provider/hardware provider, and thus are at very much at risk of folks cutting corners.

Myself, I see the strengths of the open platform far overshadowing any advantage of a "single source" platform. Apparently so did Apple . . . why else are they now on pretty much standard PC Intel hardware?

I also use Windows as an example, since most folks can relate to the platform . . . I don't use it for anything I care about (well, other than Wyg/Hog2PC) running 100% or my business and personal computing on Linux. Myself, I start with the Slackware distro, since it is the most pure-Unix like (IE no proprietary tools/crutches), and pretty much roll my own distro, but then again, I am an old-school *nix guy, so that is what I am the most familiar with. The good news is that all the distros use the same basic utility set, and the exact same kernel code, so compatibility is good. Heck, for that matter, the X Window graphic system, as used on all *nix boxes is totally network portable - no matter what the processor, *nix flavor, etc. Anything run on one will display correctly on any other . . . no matter what - The X standard guarantees that. And no retarded bull$hit like Windows remote desktop - you just point any application to any screen you want it on, and it's there . . .

Due to the "footprint" it's understandable that Android didn't carry the X video standard along with it, but if it had, things would be even cleaner, other than apps that are coded to a minimum resolution that are programmed to not run on lower res screens.

So, for a Linux distro to play with, a lot of folks who are relatively green seem to like Ubuntu, although I have have never used it. The RedHat flavors are also good . . . heck, I don't know of any that won't work - it's just a case of what additional tools and look and feel you want - they all do the same thing at the end of the day, although SuSe and RedHat are the ones you see in the data centers of the Fortune 500 . . . .

Oh, and since Android is far far more than an MP3 player, I leave out the iPod *anything* from the comparison . . . . if the functionality isn't comparable, then the comparison is meaningless. At this time, iPhone vs. Android phone is one comparison, as is iPad vs Android tablet. I think Android wins the handheld comparison easily if you choose to compare similar units. Apple still has the tablet space simply because Android tablets are just releasing, and there is not enough time to see how well they will do in the market. Keep in mind that Apple had a big head start with the iPhone too, and appears to have lost it over time . . .

Due to the low number of Android tabs to date, I see the comparison more like:

15,500,000 iPhone.
    23,750,000 Android (left off a small margin for the small number of tablets shipped to date . . and I think 150,000 is being very generous . . . ).

- Tim
  • Joshua -

I can't dispute that the test matrix, if nothing else, is easier on a single platform, but then again, that tends to inspire lazy programming, and bad software as well . . . And the iPhone and iPad are radically different resolutions as well, so who is to say that Joe Blow app designer won't botch it there either? Keep in mind that most apps on both platforms are not written by the underlying OS provider/hardware provider, and thus are at very much at risk of folks cutting corners.

Myself, I see the strengths of the open platform far overshadowing any advantage of a "single source" platform. Apparently so did Apple . . . why else are they now on pretty much standard PC Intel hardware?

I also use Windows as an example, since most folks can relate to the platform . . . I don't use it for anything I care about (well, other than Wyg/Hog2PC) running 100% or my business and personal computing on Linux. Myself, I start with the Slackware distro, since it is the most pure-Unix like (IE no proprietary tools/crutches), and pretty much roll my own distro, but then again, I am an old-school *nix guy, so that is what I am the most familiar with. The good news is that all the distros use the same basic utility set, and the exact same kernel code, so compatibility is good. Heck, for that matter, the X Window graphic system, as used on all *nix boxes is totally network portable - no matter what the processor, *nix flavor, etc. Anything run on one will display correctly on any other . . . no matter what - The X standard guarantees that. And no retarded bull$hit like Windows remote desktop - you just point any application to any screen you want it on, and it's there . . .

Due to the "footprint" it's understandable that Android didn't carry the X video standard along with it, but if it had, things would be even cleaner, other than apps that are coded to a minimum resolution that are programmed to not run on lower res screens.

So, for a Linux distro to play with, a lot of folks who are relatively green seem to like Ubuntu, although I have have never used it. The RedHat flavors are also good . . . heck, I don't know of any that won't work - it's just a case of what additional tools and look and feel you want - they all do the same thing at the end of the day, although SuSe and RedHat are the ones you see in the data centers of the Fortune 500 . . . .

Oh, and since Android is far far more than an MP3 player, I leave out the iPod *anything* from the comparison . . . . if the functionality isn't comparable, then the comparison is meaningless. At this time, iPhone vs. Android phone is one comparison, as is iPad vs Android tablet. I think Android wins the handheld comparison easily if you choose to compare similar units. Apple still has the tablet space simply because Android tablets are just releasing, and there is not enough time to see how well they will do in the market. Keep in mind that Apple had a big head start with the iPhone too, and appears to have lost it over time . . .

Due to the low number of Android tabs to date, I see the comparison more like:

15,500,000 iPhone.
    23,750,000 Android (left off a small margin for the small number of tablets shipped to date . . and I think 150,000 is being very generous . . . ).

- Tim
Children
No Data
Related