Fitting a solid state drive?

Hi, wondered if anyone could shed some light on this.

I want to fit a solid state drive to my Roadhog. I am aware of the possible speed issues but want to fit one as my desk got dropped yesterday and the hard drive is not well and want to prevent issues should something like this happen again.

Now, the Roadhog drive is IDE and all the SSD I have seen are SATA.

Will A SATA drive connect to the Roadhog motherboard and be recognized and install the operating system ok?

Any info greatly appreciated!

S
Parents
  • Early versions of the Road Hog shipped with IDE drives, and newer units have SATA drives. You should be able to replace the IDE drive with a SATA drive. You'll need to boot off of a USB stick or CD and re-install the OS after you install the drive.

The situation is more complicated with the iPC. It also shipped with both IDE and SATA over its lifetime, but not all of them can accept a SATA drive. The P5B or AIMB-562 motherboards should work with SATA, but older versions will not.

Just a reminder that we'll only officially support drives purchased from us. You can probably get off-the-shelf drives to work, but it's not guaranteed.

You can see my comments on SSDs in this thread:
    forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=9090
  • Early versions of the Road Hog shipped with IDE drives, and newer units have SATA drives. You should be able to replace the IDE drive with a SATA drive. You'll need to boot off of a USB stick or CD and re-install the OS after you install the drive.

The situation is more complicated with the iPC. It also shipped with both IDE and SATA over its lifetime, but not all of them can accept a SATA drive. The P5B or AIMB-562 motherboards should work with SATA, but older versions will not.

Just a reminder that we'll only officially support drives purchased from us. You can probably get off-the-shelf drives to work, but it's not guaranteed.

You can see my comments on SSDs in this thread:
    forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=9090
Children
No Data
Related