Recording a Cue only cue in Tracking mode

To the best of my understanding if you are in tracking mode and you want to record a 'cue-only' cue you deselect forward. My question is how do you record a blank cue after that. Example, Cue 1 I have stage wash up, and cue 2 I record 'cue only' for a video look. On strand boards I would record a blank cue after that and it would transition out all my cue 2 changes.
I would like to be able to do this so that 10 video rolls into rehearsal I notice that SR is a little darker than the rest of the stage, so I record SR a little brighter and track back. If I have a blank cue after each video it would track all the way back to where it was recorded. However, if I have to set levels in each restore cue then I'd have to go back and fix that dark spot in every cue.
Parents
  • > this has mad me a little curious about the
    > backgrounds of tracking.

Oh man... There have been whole books written on this topic by people far more knowledgeable than I.

Historically there are two styles of operation for theatrical consoles. Tracking and Preset. Neither is better, it's a matter of personal preference and operating style (like Coke vs. Pepsi, Mac vs. PC, and Radial Arm Saw vs. Table Saw). A good operator will know how to use both.

Tracking stores only the values that change in each cue. If you bring a fixture up to a level, it will stay at that level through every cue until it is explicitly changed.

Preset stores every value in every cue. If you write a cue, anything that's not included in that particular cue will be off.

There are some operations that can be cumbersome on each, so most tracking consoles offer you a way to behave somewhat like a preset consoles, and vice-versa. The ETC Expression (a preset console) has a "Record Track" button that will attempt to track a single change through a series of preset scenes. The Light Palette (tracking), has a "Cue Only" function to let you record a single cue without those levels tracking through. Exactly how those crossover functions behave is dependent on the specific console.

The Strand 500 series (may it rest is peace) was extraordinarily powerful, but I don't have enough time on one to give you the details of how it handles tracking.
  • > this has mad me a little curious about the
    > backgrounds of tracking.

Oh man... There have been whole books written on this topic by people far more knowledgeable than I.

Historically there are two styles of operation for theatrical consoles. Tracking and Preset. Neither is better, it's a matter of personal preference and operating style (like Coke vs. Pepsi, Mac vs. PC, and Radial Arm Saw vs. Table Saw). A good operator will know how to use both.

Tracking stores only the values that change in each cue. If you bring a fixture up to a level, it will stay at that level through every cue until it is explicitly changed.

Preset stores every value in every cue. If you write a cue, anything that's not included in that particular cue will be off.

There are some operations that can be cumbersome on each, so most tracking consoles offer you a way to behave somewhat like a preset consoles, and vice-versa. The ETC Expression (a preset console) has a "Record Track" button that will attempt to track a single change through a series of preset scenes. The Light Palette (tracking), has a "Cue Only" function to let you record a single cue without those levels tracking through. Exactly how those crossover functions behave is dependent on the specific console.

The Strand 500 series (may it rest is peace) was extraordinarily powerful, but I don't have enough time on one to give you the details of how it handles tracking.
Children
No Data
Related