DP2K reliability - hognet or artnet?

I´m just wondering if people have experience with DP2K functioning and reliability with recent softwares?

Is it really working ok in hognet mode and there are for example no more dmx output problems?

I havent really used our 2K (as other than backup DP) after we got 8K, but now it seems that we would need the extra dmx outputs.

Other question is that is the 2K more reliable in artnet mode? This of course is not possible when using only hog3pc+laptop but since my other setups are RHFB and H3+8K so the artnet mode would be possible in these cases.

Any experiences on this?
Parents
  • There's a saying that "All computers wait at the same speed", which is arguably another way of stating Amdahl's Law ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl's_law ).

Hogs use a distributed processing scheme to share the work across all of the nodes that are in the network. This means sometimes your DP8000 or RHFB (fast) is stuck waiting for something that it needs from the DP2000 (slow).

Just having the DP2000 connected to the network won't really hurt anything. If you have a DP2000 active and online in your show (Outputs Active), then it starts to drag things down. The more heavily loaded the 2K is, the worse it gets, but even lightly loaded it can have an effect. Each DP only needs to track the fixtures that are connected to it, but they all need to understand global cue state and global timing.
  • There's a saying that "All computers wait at the same speed", which is arguably another way of stating Amdahl's Law ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl's_law ).

Hogs use a distributed processing scheme to share the work across all of the nodes that are in the network. This means sometimes your DP8000 or RHFB (fast) is stuck waiting for something that it needs from the DP2000 (slow).

Just having the DP2000 connected to the network won't really hurt anything. If you have a DP2000 active and online in your show (Outputs Active), then it starts to drag things down. The more heavily loaded the 2K is, the worse it gets, but even lightly loaded it can have an effect. Each DP only needs to track the fixtures that are connected to it, but they all need to understand global cue state and global timing.
Children
No Data
Related