Back to the Hog

After not using this platform on any sizable shows, I have it on one. Trying to drive 36 ColorBlaze 72s in Mode A (36 Channels) and they respond very slowly.
Tried both the RGB generic profile as well as the Color Kinetics ColorBlast profile. Cannot find a fixture profile for the Colorblazes that lets me use them as a single fixture. Have tried various DP2000 configurations to try and make them respond in a reasonable time, including spreading universes over the spare DP200's, with no effect. Using Full Boar v3.1.8, 4x DP2000. Any suggestions? Am I missing something basic here?
Parents
  • Chris,

I've mentioned this before and it was brought up to me by Dennis again last night...

I appreciate that you all have been forthright about this on the forums but I really feel that a lot of people (especially those who are not active on the forums) are having very bad experiences with the current Hog platform because they are using DP2000s, not knowing that this is limiting the capabilities of their systems.

Although the DP2000 has been discontinued for a while now, there are a lot of these in good working conditions being used in installations and rental houses of all sizes. It's been my experience that in most of these cases the end users believe that all of the DP2000 issues have been handled with software updates.

In fact, I have seen several instances where DP2000s were sent out when DP8000s were available because neither the shop or the programmer were aware that there were significant performance gains when using the DP8000. As far as they know, three DP2000s on the shelf at the shop are perfectly suited when they need 12 universes of DMX on hard outputs.

I think it would be very useful to have a Manual Update, Tech Note, or notices in the future versions of the software to alert users to the best practices for these systems. Maybe some sort of a re-written Hog 'System Design and Networking' manual that includes a technical limitation note about the DP2000?

I am always happy to see people return to the Hog with a good experience (as opposed to coming back for one show and walking away again), and I think a lot of people are having bad experiences due to this issue.

As always, I would love to hear any feedback on this.

Phil
  • Chris,

I've mentioned this before and it was brought up to me by Dennis again last night...

I appreciate that you all have been forthright about this on the forums but I really feel that a lot of people (especially those who are not active on the forums) are having very bad experiences with the current Hog platform because they are using DP2000s, not knowing that this is limiting the capabilities of their systems.

Although the DP2000 has been discontinued for a while now, there are a lot of these in good working conditions being used in installations and rental houses of all sizes. It's been my experience that in most of these cases the end users believe that all of the DP2000 issues have been handled with software updates.

In fact, I have seen several instances where DP2000s were sent out when DP8000s were available because neither the shop or the programmer were aware that there were significant performance gains when using the DP8000. As far as they know, three DP2000s on the shelf at the shop are perfectly suited when they need 12 universes of DMX on hard outputs.

I think it would be very useful to have a Manual Update, Tech Note, or notices in the future versions of the software to alert users to the best practices for these systems. Maybe some sort of a re-written Hog 'System Design and Networking' manual that includes a technical limitation note about the DP2000?

I am always happy to see people return to the Hog with a good experience (as opposed to coming back for one show and walking away again), and I think a lot of people are having bad experiences due to this issue.

As always, I would love to hear any feedback on this.

Phil
Children
No Data
Related