MIDI control...How do I get started

I am trying to get started using MIDI/MSC. I have read, researched, and tried nearly everything I have found on the forums and I am getting absolutely nowhere.

1. How do I get started?
2. I want to sync with music more than just using the "Learn Timing" feature. We use a lot of click tracks and I would like to get the clicks/loops to trigger a cuelist and keep the cues in sync throughout. How would I get that programmed?
3. I have tried to use MIDI control through Pro Tools, no luck. We use Logic for clicks/loops and would just like the computer on stage to trigger the console with the clicks/loops.
4. I just don't get it and would like to. Christmas show programming is coming up in a few months and would like to make it all work seemlessly.
5. Is it possible for MIDI to start whatever cue at the appropriate time should they start somewhere in the middle of a song?

Whatever help you may help me understand a little more. I have read the console manual, midi.org, the forums, Pro Tools software manual, etc. and I am spinning my wheels on this.

Thanks,
Eric
Parents
  • I disagree about MIDI notes being a last resort. For someone who is just figuring out how to trigger cues, note based triggers are a hell of a lot easier and less complex to implement than MTC. Drop a note where you want and you're done.
    If someone is familiar with Logic, note triggering is dead simple. I think it would be more efficient to map out cues in Logic using the timeline rather than mark MTC timings in cuelists on the hog, which takes longer. You can use Learn timing, but what happens when you want to make a bunch of subtle changes? You reposition the notes in Logic instead of re-learning timing or manually entering the new trigger frames.
    I also think you would have more flexibility with comment macros going the notes route.
  • I disagree about MIDI notes being a last resort. For someone who is just figuring out how to trigger cues, note based triggers are a hell of a lot easier and less complex to implement than MTC. Drop a note where you want and you're done.
    If someone is familiar with Logic, note triggering is dead simple. I think it would be more efficient to map out cues in Logic using the timeline rather than mark MTC timings in cuelists on the hog, which takes longer. You can use Learn timing, but what happens when you want to make a bunch of subtle changes? You reposition the notes in Logic instead of re-learning timing or manually entering the new trigger frames.
    I also think you would have more flexibility with comment macros going the notes route.
Children
No Data
Related