MIDI control...How do I get started

I am trying to get started using MIDI/MSC. I have read, researched, and tried nearly everything I have found on the forums and I am getting absolutely nowhere.

1. How do I get started?
2. I want to sync with music more than just using the "Learn Timing" feature. We use a lot of click tracks and I would like to get the clicks/loops to trigger a cuelist and keep the cues in sync throughout. How would I get that programmed?
3. I have tried to use MIDI control through Pro Tools, no luck. We use Logic for clicks/loops and would just like the computer on stage to trigger the console with the clicks/loops.
4. I just don't get it and would like to. Christmas show programming is coming up in a few months and would like to make it all work seemlessly.
5. Is it possible for MIDI to start whatever cue at the appropriate time should they start somewhere in the middle of a song?

Whatever help you may help me understand a little more. I have read the console manual, midi.org, the forums, Pro Tools software manual, etc. and I am spinning my wheels on this.

Thanks,
Eric
Parents
  • Hi Eric,

Lots of good input in the thread all ready, and i thought i add a little.
    (Not trying to write you on the nose, just starting with some basics :) )

Talking to people and as indicated here there is lots of different ways of going about the trigg of controller.
    MIDI GM is notes, where in theory a Button Press is sent from one device to another, it is organised as NOTES 0 - 127 and can be sent on 16 Channels.

Picture 1
    This is implemented in the WHOS since 3.1.7 with 5 different trigg options.
    1. Programming Keys
    Where the Notes command can press any programming key ex NOTES 31 = RECORD
    2. Softkeys
    Where the Notes command can press any Soft Key from the two internal touch screens
    3. Playback Bar
    Where the Notes command can press any of the 10 Masters buttons
    (Actually any of the Playback Bar Console - #8)
    4. Macro
    Where the Notes command can press any of the 128 Available Comment macros, who in turn can fire just about any playback function in the desk.
    These are very helpful when you have a "dead" MIDI controller who can not map/patch outgoing NOTES to the desired function.

MSC MIDI SHOW CONTROL
    This has been implemented in the WHOS for a long time and used to sync HOG to HOG etc.
    This is much more powerful than NOTES, but then also more complex, and not that common with external softwares.

MTC MIDI TIME CODE
    In coming MTC This has been implemented in the WHOS for a long time and can be turned on and off for any CueList and is very useful when you want exact trigg of cues with click track/music.

A few tips:
    - MIDI Notes and Timecode needs to be Turned On Per show and there is a few settings like "Only Trigg Forward" that can be useful.
    - MIDI Commands be sent from the WHOS
    - MSC Commands can be turned off from MIDI OUT
    - If you have a Fullboar it also has a native SMPT Timecode input, witch might be easier depending on your hardware.

Showautomation can always be very challenging, but in the end very rewarding :)

One way of going about you situation could be:
    - Have the ProTools soft send a Midi Note for each track you plan to play, triggering one of the MIDI Macros
    - That Macro Activates the TimeCode for the desired CueStack, who then follows the timecode created by the software. Last cue deactivates the TimeCode and the desk is then ready for the next track.

I hope this helps you and if you need more guidance you can email me, i am in the european timezone.

My very best good luck /Abbe
    abbe.westerlundh@barco.com
  • Hi Eric,

Lots of good input in the thread all ready, and i thought i add a little.
    (Not trying to write you on the nose, just starting with some basics :) )

Talking to people and as indicated here there is lots of different ways of going about the trigg of controller.
    MIDI GM is notes, where in theory a Button Press is sent from one device to another, it is organised as NOTES 0 - 127 and can be sent on 16 Channels.

Picture 1
    This is implemented in the WHOS since 3.1.7 with 5 different trigg options.
    1. Programming Keys
    Where the Notes command can press any programming key ex NOTES 31 = RECORD
    2. Softkeys
    Where the Notes command can press any Soft Key from the two internal touch screens
    3. Playback Bar
    Where the Notes command can press any of the 10 Masters buttons
    (Actually any of the Playback Bar Console - #8)
    4. Macro
    Where the Notes command can press any of the 128 Available Comment macros, who in turn can fire just about any playback function in the desk.
    These are very helpful when you have a "dead" MIDI controller who can not map/patch outgoing NOTES to the desired function.

MSC MIDI SHOW CONTROL
    This has been implemented in the WHOS for a long time and used to sync HOG to HOG etc.
    This is much more powerful than NOTES, but then also more complex, and not that common with external softwares.

MTC MIDI TIME CODE
    In coming MTC This has been implemented in the WHOS for a long time and can be turned on and off for any CueList and is very useful when you want exact trigg of cues with click track/music.

A few tips:
    - MIDI Notes and Timecode needs to be Turned On Per show and there is a few settings like "Only Trigg Forward" that can be useful.
    - MIDI Commands be sent from the WHOS
    - MSC Commands can be turned off from MIDI OUT
    - If you have a Fullboar it also has a native SMPT Timecode input, witch might be easier depending on your hardware.

Showautomation can always be very challenging, but in the end very rewarding :)

One way of going about you situation could be:
    - Have the ProTools soft send a Midi Note for each track you plan to play, triggering one of the MIDI Macros
    - That Macro Activates the TimeCode for the desired CueStack, who then follows the timecode created by the software. Last cue deactivates the TimeCode and the desk is then ready for the next track.

I hope this helps you and if you need more guidance you can email me, i am in the european timezone.

My very best good luck /Abbe
    abbe.westerlundh@barco.com
Children
No Data
Related