Replace iPC HDD with SSD?

I'm considering replacing my iPC's HDD as a pre-emptive move because it's now 4 years old. Does anyone have any precautions or opinion on replacing it with a SATA SSD drive? The way I figure, it should have quicker seek times and not be susceptible to shock related damage like a traditional mechanical hard drive.

Any guidance is much appreciated.
Parents
  • Hey Smokey,

Hope you are well!

Yes an SSD will probably give you faster seek + retreive times as well as make your desk lighter, and more "rugged" as far as shocks go.

The downside is that you may see an SSD fail much sooner than a traditional HDD since the H3 system reads and writes so many files constantly to the system, and SSDs don't hold up to that very well. This has gotten better the last year or two, but only with the more expensive SSDs.

Given the huge gap in price between a replacement HDD of the same type and a good SSD, I'm not sure it is worth the cost/risk in the end just yet, but that is ultimately up to you.

Who knows where SSDs are going to be in a few years, but right now you would probably be best served with the same type of HDD.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Hey Smokey,

Hope you are well!

Yes an SSD will probably give you faster seek + retreive times as well as make your desk lighter, and more "rugged" as far as shocks go.

The downside is that you may see an SSD fail much sooner than a traditional HDD since the H3 system reads and writes so many files constantly to the system, and SSDs don't hold up to that very well. This has gotten better the last year or two, but only with the more expensive SSDs.

Given the huge gap in price between a replacement HDD of the same type and a good SSD, I'm not sure it is worth the cost/risk in the end just yet, but that is ultimately up to you.

Who knows where SSDs are going to be in a few years, but right now you would probably be best served with the same type of HDD.

Hope this helps. :)
Children
No Data
Related