Replace iPC HDD with SSD?

I'm considering replacing my iPC's HDD as a pre-emptive move because it's now 4 years old. Does anyone have any precautions or opinion on replacing it with a SATA SSD drive? The way I figure, it should have quicker seek times and not be susceptible to shock related damage like a traditional mechanical hard drive.

Any guidance is much appreciated.
Parents
  • Here's a copy of something I initially posted on LN ( lightnetwork.com//?msg=32799.26 )

I'm a big proponent of solid state drives, but reliability is not among their strong points. It seems at first they'd be more reliable ("No moving parts...") but anecdotal experience and some moderately sized studies have not shown they are much more reliable than rotating media when you control for age.

Further, nearly every SSD manufacturer has struggled with firmware bugs of the "you just lost all of your data" variety. SandForce has been the worst of late, but even Intel has had a few doozies. Even worse, when an SSD forgets all your data, you're often out of luck. With a hard drive, you can sometimes recover at least some of your data.

Buy SSDs for performance, not reliability.
  • Here's a copy of something I initially posted on LN ( lightnetwork.com//?msg=32799.26 )

I'm a big proponent of solid state drives, but reliability is not among their strong points. It seems at first they'd be more reliable ("No moving parts...") but anecdotal experience and some moderately sized studies have not shown they are much more reliable than rotating media when you control for age.

Further, nearly every SSD manufacturer has struggled with firmware bugs of the "you just lost all of your data" variety. SandForce has been the worst of late, but even Intel has had a few doozies. Even worse, when an SSD forgets all your data, you're often out of luck. With a hard drive, you can sometimes recover at least some of your data.

Buy SSDs for performance, not reliability.
Children
No Data
Related