Timecode Show Setup

Hello all,
so i am spending my non busy months trying to figure out Timecode on an IPC using Hog 3. I understand the setup of the consoles Timecode widget, as well as programming with Timecode, but what i dont understand yet is how to sync it to music via an external source. I have managed to send Timecode to the desk via my Ipad through the 3 pin SMPTE port, but what i am wondering is if anyone can explain how this works, basic audio/lighting timecode setups, ect. I have a macbook pro and i would love to be able to play a song from my computer and be able to sync my timecode shows, and understand also how it works in a concert setup, but i have found almost no online resources on how to accomplish this.

Thanks Much,
Parents
  • If you're just doing this for practice now...I would go the split track route.

Take a song you like and using something like Adobe Soundbooth (I'm sure there are free equivalents), put the song on the Left track and grab a SMPTE source (there are free tracks out there on the web) and put it on the Right track. I usually allow for about 3 seconds of "pre-roll" of timecode before the music starts. You want to try and land the music on a 1 hour mark if at all possible.

Export that song...

Now, take a STEREO 1/8 Mini and split the feed so that the LEFT side goes to speakers and the RIGHT side goes to the TC Widget (you'll need to adapt to XLR).

You now have a song with a TC stripe. Program away...
  • If you're just doing this for practice now...I would go the split track route.

Take a song you like and using something like Adobe Soundbooth (I'm sure there are free equivalents), put the song on the Left track and grab a SMPTE source (there are free tracks out there on the web) and put it on the Right track. I usually allow for about 3 seconds of "pre-roll" of timecode before the music starts. You want to try and land the music on a 1 hour mark if at all possible.

Export that song...

Now, take a STEREO 1/8 Mini and split the feed so that the LEFT side goes to speakers and the RIGHT side goes to the TC Widget (you'll need to adapt to XLR).

You now have a song with a TC stripe. Program away...
Children
No Data
Related