RHFB on corporate network

I have looked but can't seem to find anything like this on the forums.

Is there a way to put a Hog (any Hog, but I happen to have a RHFB) on a corporate network without it broadcasting DHCP and basically shutting down an entire network? I don't have it on one right now but it would make certain things easier for me if I could. I have tried turning off the DHCP and Boot server button but it still manages to broadcast. I have given the Hog a static IP when on that network so that my laptop can see it easier. I would like to set it up on the network in order remote the desk from my office and not have to run to the booth every time someone needs me to run a demo.

Just wondering. Any ideas are helpful.

Thanks,
Eric
Parents
  • [QUOTE=BBCLD;59159]
    What is happening is that when people boot up their computers they are getting the IP address from the Hog instead of from the network servers as they should, which causes problems for that user/printer/server.

Odd, this shouldn't be happening. If you've turned off the DHCP *server* in the console, it should not be handing out IP addresses at all. Turning the DHCP server on/off should take effect immediately, but it wouldn't hurt to reboot afterwards for good measure. Can you verify that the DHCP server is off? Also remember that the settings can change any time you re-image the OS.

Also, is it possible that your PCs just had a lease leftover from when the DHCP server was still on? If you force the system to release and renew, does it still get a lease from the console?

Our test lab reconfigures DHCP servers all the time, and I've never heard of a problem. Heck, the RND network at HES has a ton of hogs on it without any issues. But there could be something we've missed. If you can figure out when the problem occurs, take a screenshot of all of your network settings on the console and post it.

[QUOTE=BBCLD;59159]
    I just want to use our network to help with keeping tabs on the various Hog systems I am using without having to create an independant network over several miles.

This will depend on how your network is setup. Hogs are used in some very large installations, so it can be done. If your network is a flat layer 2 (switched) network, then it should work. If your network uses Layer 3 (routing) then you'll need to do some network configuration to make sure that the multicast traffic can cross the routers.

For the most parts, hogs get along well with larger networks. The one caveat is that HogNet (and Art-Net and E1.31) use a massive amount of multicast traffic. Some network switches see this traffic and interpret it as a denial of service attack. They either cut off or rate limit the port. If this occurs, you'll need to disable multicast/broadcast rate limiting in the switches.
  • [QUOTE=BBCLD;59159]
    What is happening is that when people boot up their computers they are getting the IP address from the Hog instead of from the network servers as they should, which causes problems for that user/printer/server.

Odd, this shouldn't be happening. If you've turned off the DHCP *server* in the console, it should not be handing out IP addresses at all. Turning the DHCP server on/off should take effect immediately, but it wouldn't hurt to reboot afterwards for good measure. Can you verify that the DHCP server is off? Also remember that the settings can change any time you re-image the OS.

Also, is it possible that your PCs just had a lease leftover from when the DHCP server was still on? If you force the system to release and renew, does it still get a lease from the console?

Our test lab reconfigures DHCP servers all the time, and I've never heard of a problem. Heck, the RND network at HES has a ton of hogs on it without any issues. But there could be something we've missed. If you can figure out when the problem occurs, take a screenshot of all of your network settings on the console and post it.

[QUOTE=BBCLD;59159]
    I just want to use our network to help with keeping tabs on the various Hog systems I am using without having to create an independant network over several miles.

This will depend on how your network is setup. Hogs are used in some very large installations, so it can be done. If your network is a flat layer 2 (switched) network, then it should work. If your network uses Layer 3 (routing) then you'll need to do some network configuration to make sure that the multicast traffic can cross the routers.

For the most parts, hogs get along well with larger networks. The one caveat is that HogNet (and Art-Net and E1.31) use a massive amount of multicast traffic. Some network switches see this traffic and interpret it as a denial of service attack. They either cut off or rate limit the port. If this occurs, you'll need to disable multicast/broadcast rate limiting in the switches.
Children
No Data
Related