I needs some tips please.

I have an opportunity to programm a festival coming up and I have a good base knowledge of the hog 3. I recently have been introduced to the concept of busking and creating playbacks for different parameters and being able to play them back at any time rather than trying to think through every cue. My problem is trying to implement this with the hog. Given I will have only 9 or 10 playback faders how do I get all the different parameters that I would like to access on one playback bus. I've seen talk about about virtual playbacks of the forum but what is a virtual play back on the hog where do you access that. For busking certain parameters I thought I heard pallets were a good way to do this or is that not ok. Also is it possible to use play back faders as effect rate modifiers? The festival isn't very complicated about 60 par cans on a down stage truss and 1K2 movers on an upstage. I'm assuming there needs to be different looks for color washes and chase patterns for the par cans but I would like to do some interesting stuff with the movers. Any tips any one has would be helpful I'm new to this forum. I would really like to learn an efficient way to program a busking type of show.
Parents
  • Here's how I lay out my console for busking.

Close all windows on your 2 touchscreens
    LIST - OPEN (This opens your List Directory)
    On the upper right touch screen, press SPLIT - This creates 2 List directories.
    Move 1 of them to the right touch screen - press Maximize
    The other one on the other screen - press Maximize.
    Your left touch screen...scroll down until you have an entire page of empty cue lists (I usually put this one around 100 so any necessary things will live above it)
    Find the last number on the left touch screen, then scroll the RIGHT touch screen to just past this...so you have a continuation of lists.

SAVE THIS AS A VIEW - I call it BUSK and save it as View 10 so I can get to it easy with the OPEN-0 quick key and my fingers never leave the keypad.

Now...that should give you access to about 128 lists right at your finger tips.

The following is a description of how I setup of my view...color code as necessary so that you can quickly see "types" of effects or "types" of fixtures.
    Picture the screen as 4 quadrants (LIST screen split between both screens)
    Top half of the LEFT screen is COLOR
    Row 1 - Full stage color bumps / List 12 is a RELEASE THIS LINE macro (RL1>11)
    Row 2 - 1/2 Color Bumps (2 colors on 50/50 of the rig on cue 1. Cue 2 reverses the color) / List 24 is a RELEASE THIS LINE macro (RL13>23)
    Row 3 - More 1/2 Color bumps with a RELEASE THIS LINE at the end
    Row 4 is empty as a spacer

Bottom Half of LEFT Screen is BEAM
    Row 5 - Straight Gobo Selections / List 60 is a RELEASE THIS LINE
    Row 6 - Slow / Med > / Slow > on Gobo 1 - List 72 is a release this line - Add Iris steps, etc. to fill the line as needed.
    Row 7 - Same as Row 6 but with Gobo 2 and same release this line - Add other beam effects to fill the line as needed.

(I do this to avoid filling up a fader with gobo rotation - use slow, med and fast and, for the most part, no one will ever know the difference)

Top Half of RIGHT Screen
    Position moves - Spot Circle Small, Spot Circle Med, Spot Circle Large - Repeat for Wash - Same RELEASE THIS LINE at end
    Spot Kicks Small, Spot Kicks Med, Spot Kicks Large / Repeat for Wash - RELEASE THIS LINE at end
    This is also where I fill up with Nooks position suggestions...
    DSC, XXX, AUD, ROOF, CROSSSTAGE (where spots are in BAND, wash is description and the 2nd cue reverses)
    I also leave a space up here for what I call my "SAFETY" look...the oh crap someone is talking and I need light!

Bottom Half of RIGHT Screen
    Intensity Effects - Slow Intensity Fades, White stripes, 50/50 (Spots/Wash), Odd/Even, 3 Circuit Chase, 4 Circuit Chase, FLICKER, Random Strobe, 10Hz. Strobe.

That should give you a basic layout of my page.

Leave your faders for intensity things. Band key lights, blinders. This usually leaves me a couple of extra slots by the time I'm done to be able to throw something there just in case.
  • Here's how I lay out my console for busking.

Close all windows on your 2 touchscreens
    LIST - OPEN (This opens your List Directory)
    On the upper right touch screen, press SPLIT - This creates 2 List directories.
    Move 1 of them to the right touch screen - press Maximize
    The other one on the other screen - press Maximize.
    Your left touch screen...scroll down until you have an entire page of empty cue lists (I usually put this one around 100 so any necessary things will live above it)
    Find the last number on the left touch screen, then scroll the RIGHT touch screen to just past this...so you have a continuation of lists.

SAVE THIS AS A VIEW - I call it BUSK and save it as View 10 so I can get to it easy with the OPEN-0 quick key and my fingers never leave the keypad.

Now...that should give you access to about 128 lists right at your finger tips.

The following is a description of how I setup of my view...color code as necessary so that you can quickly see "types" of effects or "types" of fixtures.
    Picture the screen as 4 quadrants (LIST screen split between both screens)
    Top half of the LEFT screen is COLOR
    Row 1 - Full stage color bumps / List 12 is a RELEASE THIS LINE macro (RL1>11)
    Row 2 - 1/2 Color Bumps (2 colors on 50/50 of the rig on cue 1. Cue 2 reverses the color) / List 24 is a RELEASE THIS LINE macro (RL13>23)
    Row 3 - More 1/2 Color bumps with a RELEASE THIS LINE at the end
    Row 4 is empty as a spacer

Bottom Half of LEFT Screen is BEAM
    Row 5 - Straight Gobo Selections / List 60 is a RELEASE THIS LINE
    Row 6 - Slow / Med > / Slow > on Gobo 1 - List 72 is a release this line - Add Iris steps, etc. to fill the line as needed.
    Row 7 - Same as Row 6 but with Gobo 2 and same release this line - Add other beam effects to fill the line as needed.

(I do this to avoid filling up a fader with gobo rotation - use slow, med and fast and, for the most part, no one will ever know the difference)

Top Half of RIGHT Screen
    Position moves - Spot Circle Small, Spot Circle Med, Spot Circle Large - Repeat for Wash - Same RELEASE THIS LINE at end
    Spot Kicks Small, Spot Kicks Med, Spot Kicks Large / Repeat for Wash - RELEASE THIS LINE at end
    This is also where I fill up with Nooks position suggestions...
    DSC, XXX, AUD, ROOF, CROSSSTAGE (where spots are in BAND, wash is description and the 2nd cue reverses)
    I also leave a space up here for what I call my "SAFETY" look...the oh crap someone is talking and I need light!

Bottom Half of RIGHT Screen
    Intensity Effects - Slow Intensity Fades, White stripes, 50/50 (Spots/Wash), Odd/Even, 3 Circuit Chase, 4 Circuit Chase, FLICKER, Random Strobe, 10Hz. Strobe.

That should give you a basic layout of my page.

Leave your faders for intensity things. Band key lights, blinders. This usually leaves me a couple of extra slots by the time I'm done to be able to throw something there just in case.
Children
No Data
Related