Console for the DP - Please help

Hey guys,

I have a TV show coming up where the DP typically ends up with 8 variacs at the DIT tent because he likes to dial his primary lights, sometimes in the middle of takes. He says that his dialing needs to happen faster than he can communicate. I've tried having my full console right next to him, standing next to him with my remote tablet, but he is still not a fan.

He wants something simple, like nobs or faders...

My latest idea is to make a small cart that has a playback wing on the top and a client laptop on the shelf below. From my console, I could assign what his faders are doing on his client. ie fader 1 s channel 57, 2 is 99 etc. This also makes use of the soco and doesn't mean we have to rig each set in this way.

Anybody else experienced this/found a solution.

Another idea is a simple 1to1 12 channel board, with a 10 channel Ratpack near set and run the DMX back to his mini board...Which is doable but it just leaves me out of the loop of controlling those lights.

Thoughts?

-Ben
Parents
  • [QUOTE=Playdoe9;61099]It also seems that recording the looks seems a little hectic. So let's say I assign his fader one to channel 44 and he puts it at 75% and fader 2 is channel 99 and he puts is at 25%. Then I suck in the value on my console and record to cue on my console.
    If he pushes those same faders up or down, would that change the level of that channel? Latest takes precedence?

No, once you hit Suck, the values in the Programmer will have higher priority than what the faders are doing.

You could put your Programmer into Blind so that your DP can continue to move the faders, but if they want to record those changes, then you need to perform another Suck on those Desk Channels.

Hope this helps. :)
  • [QUOTE=Playdoe9;61099]It also seems that recording the looks seems a little hectic. So let's say I assign his fader one to channel 44 and he puts it at 75% and fader 2 is channel 99 and he puts is at 25%. Then I suck in the value on my console and record to cue on my console.
    If he pushes those same faders up or down, would that change the level of that channel? Latest takes precedence?

No, once you hit Suck, the values in the Programmer will have higher priority than what the faders are doing.

You could put your Programmer into Blind so that your DP can continue to move the faders, but if they want to record those changes, then you need to perform another Suck on those Desk Channels.

Hope this helps. :)
Children
No Data
Related